Farmall M Trojan Road Grader

Howdy. What do y'all know about these things?

hV4yo9P.jpg

O4EyNgP.jpg

YAfGxnD.jpg

It's an M underneath, a '47 based on the bellhousing tag. Seems like these graders must be pretty uncommon, I can't find a ton of information on them. This one belongs to my father. He's owned it for a real long time, longer than I've been around. I still have a knot on my head from when I was a little one and I decided to push one of the cast iron levers forward and let it go. Can't say I remember the event, but the evidence still remains. Good times.

Dad used to get a lot of use out of the grader, but things have changed and now it just sits. He's looking to sell it, but with so few examples to compare to we don't know what it's worth. Maybe better to auction? Either way, I'm interested to hear what you folks know about them. I'm amazed how well it's held up, nearly 80 years old and it's got less rust than a 20 year old truck.

I'm not sure where the price would be at. I would like one for mostly what your video showed just scraping snow off ans then grading driveways with. The hydraulics on it would be a big plus I would think compared to levers and cables some of those older machines had for lifting and angling with. where is it located. I could haul it home if not to far away and the price was right.

There are several of these Farmall M/Trojan Speed Patrol graders in various states of repair still around western NY. (They were assembled at the Trojan plant in Batavia NY)

Photo is one underway at the Pageant of Steam (Canandaigua NY) a couple years ago. No clue as to a possible value.....

Attachments

• IMG_7241.JPG
    IMG_7241.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 29
FWIW not only Trojan offered tractor-based graders. Here are Allis-Chalmers and a Huber(?) graders at the Pageant of Steam.

IMG_6785.JPG
IMG_6834.JPG

I'm not sure where the price would be at. I would like one for mostly what your video showed just scraping snow off ans then grading driveways with. The hydraulics on it would be a big plus I would think compared to levers and cables some of those older machines had for lifting and angling with. where is it located. I could haul it home if not to far away and the price was right.
Whoops, should have put the location in the post. It's in Eagle Rock, Missouri. I can only imagine what it would be like to run one of these with cable wheels, the hydraulics make it easy.

Sure hope it has power steering. Ellis
Haha... hope in one hand, do some curls with the other. It's not so bad once you get moving, I swear!

There are several of these Farmall M/Trojan Speed Patrol graders in various states of repair still around western NY. (They were assembled at the Trojan plant in Batavia NY)

Photo is one underway at the Pageant of Steam (Canandaigua NY) a couple years ago. No clue as to a possible value.....
Holy moly, that's a nice machine.

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

that is also them heavy cast rims someone was just talking about here a few days ago on their OS4 mccormick. at least a 100 lbs each without tires.

also curious about them rear wheel weights. a person needs that weight for traction. wouldnt mind to have a unit like that.

that is also them heavy cast rims someone was just talking about here a few days ago on their OS4 mccormick. at least a 100 lbs each without tires.
Yup. Tire shops love them!

also curious about them rear wheel weights. a person needs that weight for traction. wouldnt mind to have a unit like that.
It's got one wheel weight. Not sure what became of the other one, if we ever had it to begin with. Either way, I can't recall traction ever being an issue.

i forgot to ask about the hydraulic's. is that pto powered? or off the timing gears?
It has this funky belt driven Cessna pump up on the left side that runs all the hydraulics.

SSgHS4M.jpg

q50VZ3o.jpg

Hydraulics are powered by pump driven off the front of the crankshaft via an added pulley and wide V-belt.

It's visible beneath the "M" decal in this photo......

IMG_7242.JPG

Yup. Tire shops love them!

It's got one wheel weight. Not sure what became of the other one, if we ever had it to begin with. Either way, I can't recall traction ever being an issue.

It has this funky belt driven Cessna pump up on the left side that runs all the hydraulics.

SSgHS4M.jpg

q50VZ3o.jpg
i see, looks like its modified a bit. i dont thing them cam gear pumps would be the answer in these machines. and yet the cold weather.thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back