Farmall Radiator

I have a Super A that I just finished Restoring for my ffa project. The radiator seeps from the top neck. It has been pressure tested and is unrepariable. What can I do? If the water is low enough it won't leak. How low is too low?

Attachments

• 4636408220608262614(1).jpg
    4636408220608262614(1).jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 29
Coolant should just cover the tops of the fins. You can buy new filler necks. Wouldn't have to be exactly the correct one but tall enough to clear the top of the grill. Then buy the matching radiator cap.
Congratulations on your project.
Dave

If your tractor has a water pump, some early Super A’s did not, as long as the water level is kept in the top hose it will be fine. The problem is that it is hard to tell where the level is if you can’t see it, as in above the top header plate as Dave said. Is is the top cap neck or the filler neck? The shop must have not wanted to mess with the responsibility of the radiator leaking soon after they repaired it. If it doesn’t have a water pump the coolant level has to be maintained over the top header plate.

I have a Super A that I just finished Restoring for my ffa project. The radiator seeps from the top neck. It has been pressure tested and is unrepariable. What can I do? If the water is low enough it won't leak. How low is too low?
Give us a picture of the problem area and we might have some solutions for you. I've unsoldered and replaced necks on radiators, even the cast iron ones that are riveted and soldered. It's not all that hard if you do the prep work well. It's not quick, but if its the filler spout or the top neck, you can do it in place. There also seems to be several used ones for sale out there. steve

Last edited:
you have some leeway there you want water up within an inch of the top. Really as long as the water is above the cylinder head you are unlikely to cause major damage. So if you look in the tank you can see the radiator tubes and their holes. Above those as well. But yes to the suggestion above if you can’t fix yourself a radiator shop can usually fix you up with a new neck and the overflow tube if it has one

Start it up add antifreeze and a tablespoon of black pepper and run it for 15 minutes or so.

If you clean the area good down to shinny brass you MIGHT be able to seal the leak with silicone gasket maker or JB weld.

If you clean the area good down to shinny brass you MIGHT be able to seal the leak with silicone gasket maker or JB weld.
I would try this only as last resort. Once you apply epoxy, a proper repair may not be possible. My 49 Pontiac top hose neck developed a bad leak. I took it to a radiator shop and they re soldered it. They said it also showed signs of weeping on the lower tank seam and wouldn't dare try to repair. A replacement radiator is in the $700 range. For the little bit it gets run, I leave the cap loose and add about a quart of coolant once a year. A lot depends on what you plan to do with it. That being said, when I redid my A, the radiator had a fin with a 1/16" hole in it that had a JB Weld repair prior to my owning it. The radiator was a greasy mess and in cleaning it I managed to pop the repair out without knowing it. When I filled it with coolant after I was done reassembling, I had had a steady stream out of it. Know I might be replacing the radiator, I cleaned the area as 4wtom suggest and filled with JB Weld. It has mowed 2 acres for 6 years without leaking.
20220508_161945_HDR.jpg
IMG_0044.JPG

Last edited:
Just to where you can see water above the tops of the fins by looking down in the filler neck is fine, especially if you don't plan on doing anything but showing, parading, and/or riding around on the tractor. If you were going to take it out and plow all day with it, I'd recommend trying to find a good used radiator at bare minimum, or investing in a new radiator.

There must have been something else wrong with the radiator that it was deemed unrepairable. A simple leak from the neck is a 5 minute repair at a radiator shop. There had to have been enough wrong with the radiator that fixing the neck was like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Fill to normal level and give it a good dose of black pepper and run it for a while. Problem solved.

That is a new one on me. What does the black pepper do? Thanks.
Stops the leak. I had a John Deere 70 that the water leaked out almost as fast as I put it in. I was told to put black pepper in it and it stopped the leak in seconds . It was still in it when I sold it 10 years later. Might have to add more once in a while but for a seldom used tractor it works great .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back