Farmall Super C questions?

I have it split and waiting for the clutch to arrive from this site. Looks like someone took the starter ring off and turned it over. If you had a new starter ring would it only go on one way? And I noticed that the big freeze plug in the back of the block was leaking. The two inch one on the left side. Is it in the water jacket or does it hold oil in the crankcase? It has been a long time since I have had one of these engines torn down. I have a new freeze plug. Should I put anything on the edge of the plug before put it in place? Thanks!

That plug (if on the left side) is the bore for the cam. It will leak oil. but only a teaspoon or so. I use 32 permatex gasket sealer on the perimeter of the new plug. Starter rings are found with beveled teeth on the starter side sometimes, and sometimes just square teeth both sides. it makes little difference. Jim

Yes only goes one way , chamfer on Id goes on first.
Removal
Use heat in circle, aimed at the ring gear , the heat from torch( I used the cutting torch with neutral flame.) . , around ring till is hot enough , it will fall off. , dont drive it off that crack the flywheel 1/8 flange driven off uneven ,that why you need enough heat ,cant emphasize this enough get it hot .
Get new ring same way . get it hot put the chamfered on I D on first. It will fall on the flywheels ,its will cool , it will bee thight to flywheel after it cools .

Change the both soft plugs. I think they are both in water jacket

Change pilot bearing

Change the throw out bearing . If you have graphite bearing you will also need a hub plus bearing .

Resurface the flywheel to 1.188 , the is the step distance .

I dont recommend skipping any steps , that will come back to haunt ya.

cvphoto123223.jpg

cvphoto123224.jpg

cvphoto123225.jpg

cvphoto123226.jpg

cvphoto123227.jpg

cvphoto123228.jpg

cvphoto123229.jpg

cvphoto123230.jpg

I have always just driven the old ring off. I do not see how driving it off of there could crack the flywheel, especially that thick tractor flywheel. I drove them off much thinner Chevy and Ford pickup flywheels with no issues. You just start at one side move it about a 1/16 in. then go a third of the way around drive it there. Continue in this way and it will be off in a few seconds, just drive it off keeping it fairly even all the way around. I usually hold onto the new ring with a
Vise grip clamped on it and heat it up. Does not have to be entirely heated all the way around to drop on.

(quoted from post at 18:30:34 04/15/22) That plug (if on the left side) is the bore for the cam. It will leak oil. but only a teaspoon or so. I use 32 permatex gasket sealer on the perimeter of the new plug. Starter rings are found with beveled teeth on the starter side sometimes, and sometimes just square teeth both sides. it makes little difference. Jim

Water jacket plug is on the LEFT, cam bore plug on the RIGHT.

The new ring gear will go on either way as the teeth are straight just use a tordh it will fall off then heat the new on it will slid on easy i have dome many of them.even turned them around and put back if the teeth were good enough

I rented the puller from autozone .
That works good if you dont have enough room to get the rented slide hammer and attached puller that goes with it , other wise you have to spread the spitting tractor further apart to get slide hammer in between to slide it .

Now ! I had to use a cope chisel to get pilot out of this crank shaft because there was a piece of the the original pilot bearings left inside crankshaft bore . You should not have that problem . The jaws of puller would slip off the bushing . Wasnt until the coped bushing was loose enough for the puller to grab it and pull it out. I had a rare issue but it happened.

What is leaking from the plug, oil or antifreeze?

The plug that lines up with the lifters and the cam gear on the front is obviously the cam plug.

Never seen a cam plug leak unless it was put in wrong. Just be careful trying to pry it out, the end of the cam is right there, don't try driving a punch through it!

Yes, do replace the water jacket plug. Some Permatex will seal it. Drive it in from the outer ring, not in the middle. Keep it going straight.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back