'Farmall' WD9?

DeltaRed

What would a Farmall type tractor be in the WD9 size be like? What would the model be? Just curious for some giggles.

A W9 of any kind to my knowledge didn't have an equivalent Farmall version. I'm thinking in that power range maybe a 460 would have similar horsepower, maybe a 450. Others may know for sure.

What would a Farmall type tractor be in the WD9 size be like? What would the model be? Just curious for some giggles.
I would love to have modified a Super WD9 by fitting it with a narrow front, taller rear tires and a Farmall style grille (would have to be custom fabricated of course......) Then decal it "Farmall Super R".

Would be an attention getter at shows(!)

IHC already built an high-powered Farmall and scrapped it. Aside from engine difficulties, the overall size of the tractor was just too heavy to have any usefulness as a row-crop tractor.

International W600 or W650, but yes those are still “Standard” tractors. I guess Bob’s thinking is the step up from H to M is 5 letters in the alphabet, 5 letters up from that is R.
To Charlie M.. a 450 had a 281CID, a SuperWD9 had 350CID and a W9 335CID. All of them 4 cylinders. When you start comparing these to a
460 you’re in apples and oranges land.

if your talking h.p. it would be in the 460- 560 h.p range. the wd9 wont get the same amount of work done in a day due to the slower gear ratio. compared to a 560 at 5 1/2 mph in 3rd gear. and for row crop work you want something easy to maneuver around. and something like that is out of the question. the farmall M turned into the 560 and that is plenty of tractor. the wd9 then after 3 more model improvements turned into the 660.

I doubt it would look much different, or be much bigger, than a Farmall M. Probably would have the same 335 cubic inch engine and overall another 1500-2000lbs of cast iron in it.

Most farms around here bought H's early on, because M's were too big. You were a crazy BTO if you owned an M. Nobody could ever possibly need that much horsepower, and my God, you'd need 40 acres to turn that behemoth around. They'd point and snicker at you at church when your back was turned.

A Farmall R would have had the bigger 335 C.I WD9 engine. Been more like a 706 with a 4 cyl. and WD-9 sheet metal. I can just see one now. W would have been like a 806 with a TD-18 4cyl. Just imagine the WD24 size beast. 1206? 1456? 1566? New Magnum? With a 4 cyl.

Dad was a Farmall man but when it came to his first diesel tractor he went to a Case 401 diesel. He had a TD-9 dozer and hated that gas start set up. He had a T-9 dozer too, that he had bought for parts, he kept it going for years when the final drive went out of the diesel and he used the diesel as the parts source. He bought a 706 IH diesel a few years after they came out. IHC should have just come out with the 706 right after the Super M....James

Anybody know if aWD9 engine would bolt up to an M bell houseing? Would the front bolster bolt up? I really doubt it,but had to ask. If so,another frankentractor might be comeing in the future. ;)

Anybody know if aWD9 engine would bolt up to an M bell houseing? Would the front bolster bolt up? I really doubt it,but had to ask. If so,another frankentractor might be comeing in the future. ;)
WD9 is a "tub" tractor meaning it doesn't have a bell housing. It's a one-piece casting from front to back, and everything loads in from the top. You'd have to come up with your own adapter plate.

Of course those WD-9 engines are not real great for parts availability. As I understand it, the diesel heads like to crack and there are more people looking for good used WD-9 heads than there are good heads out there in the wild.

There is no way to bolt a W9 to a farmall M. The flywheel is larger and would not fit in the M bell housing

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back