Ferguson TO30 wiring

amayes

New User
I have a To30, not started for approx 2 years. 6 volt system. I have replaced battery, key switch, solenoid starter button, plugs, plug wires, coil, points, condenser, distrib cap, voltage regulator, wiring between components. Still not getting spark to plugs. We have used jumpers to by pass components, cannot seem to generate any spark. Any ideas, thoughts.

Sounds like you might have replaced a lot of stuff you might not have needed? But ignition will have a full tune up when you sort out problem. Did you clean the contacts on the new points after setting the gap? Or maybe points are grounded when open?

Start out with a multi-meter, check coil side of points on ohm scale, open and closed to ground. Should have no continuity open, ~ 0 ohms closed.

Then check voltage on both sides of coil and at points (open and closed), with key on.

Wire going to the points is shorted out on the outside of the dist.
As was said, Multi meter is going to be your friend.
Also new points might be pre-glazed for your convenience.
The wife nail file or an actual points file will fix that problem.
Me? New points and no start is a first stop nail file.
Not the first time and probably won't be the last.

^ This is good.

Pay attention to screw and insulators that hold the points spring, condensor wire, and the copper strip on the points too, those can contact the breaker plate and ground out there. This is a TO-20 dist, insulator setup is a little different on the TO-30 dist.

TO-20 dist:points.jpg

After I set/clean points I run a strip of paper between the contacts moistened with contact cleaner. That's good stuff to have on hand and rinse off the cap, dust cover, and rotor when you put those back on.

Contact cleaner.jpg

Did you try testing for spark from the plug wire to the block? We have had occasios where the plug hole is carboned up and insulates the plug from the block. No ground. Clean up threads, and run wire wheel over plug threads unless they are new.
Good luck!

Has been well said. Points oxidized is big and real trouble. Test first. Easy with any VOM. 9 in 10- easy to fix- file. Good luck!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back