Fluid level..

CKain(MI)

Little advice please. With screw in type dipsticks. crankcase or trans. Should I screw it in to check the level, or stick it in to the threads. ???

Little advice please. With screw in type dipsticks. crankcase or trans. Should I screw it in to check the level, or stick it in to the threads. ???
I would say that would depend upon what the manufacturer's instructions for your specific unit state, I don't think there's any "one way applies to all" with this.

it really will not make any difference as long as the vent is open it will just burp it out. My new mower says not to screw it in

Well the dip stick is too short for three words(tranny) and I do not have a manual. I thought there would be a consistent rule.
update, I downloaded a manual(from Simplicity) and it does not mention about screwed in or not. I realize it's not real significant either way.

Last edited:
It depends on whose engine it is. On Kawasaki and Honda engines, don't tread in to check. Wipe off, then stick the dipstick back in to check oil level. It makes about 4 oz. difference on Kawasaki engines and they want that extra 4 oz. of oil in their engines.

Kohler, Briggs and Stratton and (I think) Tecumseh thread in to check. The only exception is some of the early K-series Kohler engines that use a pipe plug with a dip stick in it, the manual says do not thread in to check.

It depends on whose engine it is. On Kawasaki and Honda engines, don't tread in to check. Wipe off, then stick the dipstick back in to check oil level. It makes about 4 oz. difference on Kawasaki engines and they want that extra 4 oz. of oil in their engines.

Kohler, Briggs and Stratton and (I think) Tecumseh thread in to check. The only exception is some of the early K-series Kohler engines that use a pipe plug with a dip stick in it, the manual says do not thread in to check.

THANK YOU !!! ;-)

My Kawasaki engines and JD transaxles all say not to screw in. All from the 90s or 20s. Seems the be the standard now, not so much in the past.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back