Flywheel ring gear replacement and parts found in bell housing and the case underneath the dash

Camy13588

New User
So I have my 8N split to change the flywheel ring gear, i removed the clutch and flywheel and started beating on the ring gear, haven’t really got it to move yet, I don’t have a big set of torches just a portable mini propane torch. Anyone got any tips to remove and re install new ring gear. Also second part of this post involves some pieces I found under the fly wheel and in the bellhousing. I’ll attach pics of what I found. Nothing seems out of place between the rear of the engine and the front of the tranny so I’m struggling to figure out where these pieces came from! Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• E043926A-B54A-4CBB-80A2-FBE23138AFEB.jpeg
    E043926A-B54A-4CBB-80A2-FBE23138AFEB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 34844EAA-CA26-46E7-A4A5-8CB12CDD7C12.jpeg
    34844EAA-CA26-46E7-A4A5-8CB12CDD7C12.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
Parts look like from a broken starter drive.
I have only replaced one ring gear, but I cut the old one & heated the new in my BBQ grill. Others will have better ideas, but it worked for me.

Parts look like from a broken starter drive.
I have only replaced one ring gear, but I cut the old one & heated the new in my BBQ grill. Others will have better ideas, but it worked for me.
Damn lol. I’m normally the first fella to destroy an old part to get something apart knowing I’ll never reuse it but I never once thought to cut the old one, thanks lol. As for the bbq grill, I was thinking that I was gonna see how hot my moms convection oven will go to reinstall the new one lolol. Thanks for your input Lynn!

So I have my 8N split to change the flywheel ring gear, i removed the clutch and flywheel and started beating on the ring gear, haven’t really got it to move yet, I don’t have a big set of torches just a portable mini propane torch. Anyone got any tips to remove and re install new ring gear. Also second part of this post involves some pieces I found under the fly wheel and in the bellhousing. I’ll attach pics of what I found. Nothing seems out of place between the rear of the engine and the front of the tranny so I’m struggling to figure out where these pieces came from! Any help is appreciated!
Use Map gas instead of propane. It should fit your propane torch nozzle but it transfers a lot more heat.

Use the wife's stove oven, like I use to do. Set it on 500, put the ring gear in and bake it for about 30 minutes till it's done. Take some vice grips, clamp on, carry outside, lay on flywheel outside, let cool and you are done. CAUTION! This process might be harmful to your health, depending on the wife's feeling about this procedure.

Use Map gas instead of propane. It should fit your propane torch nozzle but it transfers a lot more heat.
You know what, I had to Google map gas and that’s when I realized thas what I’m using not propane lol. I thought the yellow bottles were still propane just a different mixture, guess I just learned something new lol.

I would not go after a flywheel ring gear on a N with out a oxy/acetylene are ox propane set up... YMMV

So I have my 8N split to change the flywheel ring gear, i removed the clutch and flywheel and started beating on the ring gear, haven’t really got it to move yet, I don’t have a big set of torches just a portable mini propane torch. Anyone got any tips to remove and re install new ring gear. Also second part of this post involves some pieces I found under the fly wheel and in the bellhousing. I’ll attach pics of what I found. Nothing seems out of place between the rear of the engine and the front of the tranny so I’m struggling to figure out where these pieces came from! Any help is
I replaced mine a year ago and I ended up buying two ring gears. I never could get the 1st one hot enough, even tried the oven and the grill, took it to a machine shop and they determined it was warped. I bought another and let the machine shop try it and they couldn’t get it to expand so I gave them permission to turn the flywheel on a lathe and that was successful. I hope you don’t have the problem I had. My only guess is the foreign steel the ring was made of.

Attachments

• 96D0B3F8-F8E7-4B4A-93A0-019E43B276BF.jpeg
    96D0B3F8-F8E7-4B4A-93A0-019E43B276BF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
HiYa Camy - Welcome aboard the YT N-BOARD. You're gonna have a leaning experience and lotsa fun in the process! If you don't already have the Essential Manuals, I advise to invest getting them; they are the best thing you can do for your tractor. You need an OEM Operators Manual, I&T F0-4 Service Manual, and a Dealer Service Manual for Mechanics to start with. A 39-53 MPC is also required. All have chapters on engine R&R'g. A "warped" ringgear is just an opinion because mechanic doesn't know. The ringgear must be heated up to at least 350-400 DEG and a grill will work fine. If you leave it in TOO long it can warp but then once it gets pressed on the flywheel and cools down you have to go around and stake the lip all the way down onto the seat. I worked in NC manufacturing & engineering for 35 years and the first 20 I was head honcho/supervisor machining FORD 6375 FlyWheels and assembled then shipped to distribution center, I know all about flywheels and ringgears. Don't guess - DO THE JOB RIGHT THE1st TiME!

Your Mileage May Vary,
Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• NFORD003.jpg
    NFORD003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • I & T FO-4 MANUAL - A FRONT COVER.jpeg
    I & T FO-4 MANUAL - A FRONT COVER.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 62.jpeg
    I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 62.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 63.jpeg
    I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 63.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 64.jpeg
    I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 64.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 65.jpeg
    I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 65.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 66.jpeg
    I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 66.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • FORD 8N TRACTOR SERVICE MANUAL PG 2-23.jpeg
    FORD 8N TRACTOR SERVICE MANUAL PG 2-23.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • NFORD080.jpg
    NFORD080.jpg
    672.8 KB · Views: 10
  • A - FORD 8N TRACTOR SERVICE MANUAL - FRONT COVER.jpeg
    A - FORD 8N TRACTOR SERVICE MANUAL - FRONT COVER.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
i have done dozens 9n 2n 8n little ford tractor ring gear, i just set the fly wheel on the fab table, lay the ring gear on top heat around it with the rose bud till it drops on. tap around with abig punch to make sure that it is seated tight and let cool , getting the old one off is the hardest part on the ford just saying what i do i probley do twenty ring gears a year on differant equipment

I would not go after a flywheel ring gear on a N with out a oxy/acetylene are ox propane set up... YMMV
You were 100% right. Ended up taking it to the construction company I work for’s shop and using the big set of oxy/acetelyne torches there. After 5 mins of heating it fell right on. Tractors back in 1 piece and hoping to try starting it later today or tomorrow

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back