Ford 101 plow (unique)

Billy NY

So I came across this back in May. 80 miles away. Its 2-16, with all the extras, gauge wheel which I have never seen before, ford scripted moldboard extensions, and big ole trash guards. Only part worn are the landsides oddly enough as the other parts are like new in regards to wear. Moldboards are ford script too.. I have another 2-14 101 that I rebuilt with new wear parts, except mild boards.

I figure it a good match for my '97 vintage 4630 with fwd. Once scoured clean, I'll paint like my other one, its been sitting awhile.

2nd try on photos, not sure what may have happened. Might need to re-size, though I have posted same way in the past.
Here goes:

cvphoto130945.jpg

cvphoto130946.jpg

The FORD 101 series Plows were/are excellent plows. Designed much better than the previous Economy Plows. They have the trip function with shear bolts so if a heavy obstruction is hit, you won't break a critical part. They also have the adjustment lever from seat for operator ease. Plus, most wear parts are still available. I know the 14 and the 16 bottoms are still made. Frogs, shins, and landsides too are still around. The gauge wheel maybe, but can find a close replacement if needed. Coulters are no longer made but you do not need coulters to plow with. You do need the tailwheel however so as not to ride the unit up and allows good furrow tracking. In todays' farming world, plows are rarely used as farming methods have changed and the preferred method now is the no-till approach. Soil erosion is the environment concern so corn stalk stubble and other trash is a good thing after the harvest. In the spring, a good discing is all that is needed to prep the soil for replanting. A plow is an excellent implement to have attached to your tractor when you haul it to a tractor show. It displays how things were done in the past and just looks awesome as it is. Plowing takes a certain skill and not everyone can master it. Your find is super. Note there is another 101 next to the one you got.

Tim Daley(MI)

Tim, you know they are still using moldboard plows in this area, albeit, breaking sod or fields not in use for years etc. My long time neighbor who planted our ground for many years, still used one, but not every year. Some farms still use them more often, but not like the past at least.

Something with the soils here. One of the large operators here, typically uses modern tillage equipment, but will use a moldboard plow on sod/ground not used for a few years. I'd be hesitant to use on on the old fields here that are now forest or overgrown if cleared, the topsoil has built up very nicely, dark black layer on top. That layer could easily be lost with careless practices. Thanks again for posting !

Oh, yeah, Bill, I see fields plowed here in Michigan rural areas all the time and love them. I observe how good of a job the operator did with nice straight, furrows and all the trash buried. Most are real good but not going to knock anyone who wants to plow. Small field plots, garden plots, and deer plots are an excellent use for a plow and learning how. The trick is good sharp points. Most times fellas buy a used old plow but the points are dull so they have a hard time breaking ground. When I had my FORD/FERGUSON/DEARBORN collection, I had 16 plows including a rare Roderick-Lean Plow that was used with the Ferguson Duplex Hitch on FORDSONS just before Ferguson released his first 3-PT Draft System.

TPD

I ve got a set of 3-16 101 plows that are a better fit for that 4630
I ve pulled them with my 3 cylinder 4000 but haven t used them for several years

I was wondering just that, I have another 2-14 101 and when it wants to go deep in some heavy soils, you can tell it's work for
the 4630. However, if adjusted so it's pulling easily and performing as it should be, I'd think it should match up to a 3
bottom nicely. I was thinking the 3 bottom would be a better match, but was debating, would that be 3-14 or 3-16. I've missed a
few nice 101 3 bottoms over the years, don't recall the sizes though. Still keeping an eye out for one though. I've got a nice
201 flex hitch disc, 10'-0, perfect match for my 4630.

Tim, excatly like you said, they do need to have good wear parts on and the uses mentioned are ideal. It's an art to get it all right and produce excellent results, you sure can tell when discing ! I'd imagine you've come across some great stuff over the years. I've enjoyed the Ford hobby quite a bit since a kind, still fun today.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back