Ford 172 diesel squealing noise, no oil pressure, loose harmonic balancer bolt, and white smoke out of breather

If it ran good when it started knocking then don’t bother with a full rebuild, especially if you don’t use it often. Just turn the crank and recondition the rods and a set of rings to freshen it up.
I would recommend a full disassemble , though, to get all the metal out.
And a ridge ream of the cylinders to assure no new ring breakage. Jim

If it ran good when it started knocking then don’t bother with a full rebuild, especially if you don’t use it often. Just turn the crank and recondition the rods and a set of rings to freshen it up.
I would recommend a full disassemble , though, to get all the metal out.
that pretty expensive work. and any rod that has been turned has got hot and is junk. they do not resize them. its not cheap like u guys keep saying ooh just do this, dont do this. geez just gaskets cost a fortune. just saying that engine work nowadays is big money. i was just pointing out a cheaper way to have a running engine for the little u use it. and diesel sleeves dont wear like gas sleeves and very unlikely u need to remove the ridge. and if thye are known for crank breakage why would u turn the crank. many diesel's this is not done.

The crankshaft shouldn't be ground more than 20 thousandths.

Vito
According to Ford it shouldn’t be turned at all; is so stated in the parts book. .002 US bearings only.
Machinists have to find aftermarket bearings to turn them.

Will a gas 172 engine be a good replacement for the diesel 172? I can't find a used diesel 172 engine but I found a gas for $800

It’s your call. Look things over and see what the changeover involves. There was also Vic on here that said he has a non Running diesel. Have u contacted him??

Will a gas 172 engine be a good replacement for the diesel 172? I can't find a used diesel 172 engine but I found a gas for $800
I swapped a diesel for a gas a few months ago. tank came with it. The tank return is the only difference. It is minor. The later 172 from an XX1 uses noticeably more gas than the early one but it makes more power. go get it today!

I swapped a diesel for a gas a few months ago. tank came with it. The tank return is the only difference. It is minor. The later 172 from an XX1 uses noticeably more gas than the early one but it makes more power. go get it today!
The brackets for the tank are different also.
Ron

I was going to re use my diesel tank. Any issues with that? The tank is below the engine and uses a low psi diesel lift pump.

I was going to re use my diesel tank. Any issues with that? The tank is below the engine and uses a low psi diesel lift pump.
I may be wrong but think some of the posters think your engine is in a tractor. I believe that is why they are talking about the brackets are different. I don’t see how there would be a problem using the diesel tank, all you should have to do is plug the return. Unless they are talking specifically about your OMC loader and somehow the tank mounts to the engine then there is enough difference between a gas and diesel that it just won’t work.

And it might require an overhaul.
You have a valid point about his running $800 engine, it should be pointed out that he should probably not expect high marks from it. In reply 11 he states he needs it up and running “asap” buy don’t they all. All I can say is maybe what it is needed for is seasonal, reply 31 also speaks a bit on use of the machine but nothing to definitive.

There's a video of the gas engine running before it was removed from a forklift. So that's encouraging. I figure it may get me by while I can search parts for the diesel engine and rebuild it. I found a kubota loader for $26k.
You have a valid point about his running $800 engine, it should be pointed out that he should probably not expect high marks from it. In reply 11 he states he needs it up and running “asap” buy don’t they all. All I can say is maybe what it is needed for is seasonal, reply 31 also speaks a bit on use of the machine but nothing to definitive.
I run a small sawmill business and make custom furniture. I unload logs off a semi once a year, and mill logs during the year. This machine lifts about 10k lbs and I need the rough terrain capability. Sometimes I won't use it for months.

You need to take block to a machine shop to have cooked to get it clean.
Curt, do you use the quoting feature? Just a helpful hint, if you do you need to pay attention to the “reply numbers” you are reply 58, 37chief’s post you replied to is #38. In the 20 replies you skipped over the OP has decided to purchase a running used gas engine to install.

I have a few questions about the gas engine I bought.

What is the pipe going into the intake?
20240402_095749.jpg

What's this thing? Power steering pump?

20240401_140213.jpg
20240401_140208.jpg

Thanks!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back