Ford 256 Diesel Loud Intake...Video

Ford 5000 with 256 diesel that I rebuilt. Below is a link to a video of it running and it seems to have a loud thumping intake. Is this normal?

Ford 5000 Video
Popping noise at intake is USUALLY caused by an EXHAUST valve problem, not opening far enough due to being too loose, wear, or broken rocker arm, or severely worn cam lobe. When the exhaust charge does not fully exit, the leftover charge WILL pop BACK through the inlet next time the inlet valve opens. First time I heard it was years ago on dad's MF Perkins AD4.203 165 diesel. It started that same noise all of a sudden when one exhaust rocker arm had broken, and that exhaust valve was not opening at all. The Olds V-8 diesels would make that noise when the aluminum rocker arm bridges were worn and the hydraulic lifter had adjusted as far as it could. New bridges stopped the popping back noise on that engine.

Pulled valve cover today. No. 1 cylinder exhaust rocker was way out of adjustment. Maybe I forgot to set that one after the rebuild.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back