Ford 2910 Hard To Start

okgat

Good day,

I own a Ford 2910. I had to replace the fuel tank shutoff strainer because it became clogged. Then, after having cleaned the tank out and then using it for a period of several hours over days, it would not start.

I again replaced the fuel strainer after finding it clogged. I also replaced the fuel filter and fuel line that runs from the fuel tank shutoff to the fuel filter.

I opened the bleeder valve on the fuel pump, turned the engine over and at first fuel came out only in dribbles.

I removed the fuel line at the shutoff valve and shot compressed air into the fuel tank through the shutoff valve to try in dislodge any potential debris.

I attempted to bleed each of the fuel injection lines to clear out any air, but very little fuel came out.

I used starter fluid several times to get the tractor running, but at idle it surged constantly until the engine quit about 10 minutes later. It then would not restart unless using starter fluid.

Current results:

1. When turning over the engine it will not start unless using starter fluid and then will immediately quit running. (Yes, I have the kill switch pushed in.)

2. There is now fuel coming out of the bleeder injection pump about 8-10", but very little fuel coming out of the fuel injection lines.

3. It seems as though the engine is not getting sufficient fuel to run, or air blocking passage; I guess. However, without using starter fluid the engine will not start even though it turns over just fine.

I am frustrated and would appreciate any help you may be able to provide.

Thank you, Rick
mvphoto107313.jpg

mvphoto107314.jpg

You said that the tank strainer was plugged, so you cleaned the tank out, but yet the strainer plugged again
soon after that. After reading the rest of your narrative, me thinks you still have trouble in the tank. To
determine for sure, disconnect the line that comes off the tank and make sure that you get a nice steady
stream of fuel coming out. Let it run for at least 10 seconds or so and make sure that it does not slow
down, and that the stream is nice and round, and not sputtering. Oh, and simply blowing air backwards
through the shutoff valve is a short term fix at best. Whatever crap you blew off the screen will find its
way back there in short order.

If it passes the tank flow test, do the same thing with the line on the back of the injection pump. It won't
come out quite as fast, however it still should be a continuous stream.

Blowing air back up through the cutoff almost always lows the filter out of the valve, it is only pressed in, use very low pressure to do this, I think you have allowed
trash to escape the tank and restrict things down wind. As Bern said, check your flow. Id be looking at a good track flush, and looking in it while empty to see if its
rusting, or just trash.

(quoted from post at 23:23:54 07/04/23) You said that the tank strainer was plugged, so you cleaned the tank out, but yet the strainer plugged again
soon after that. After reading the rest of your narrative, me thinks you still have trouble in the tank. To
determine for sure, disconnect the line that comes off the tank and make sure that you get a nice steady
stream of fuel coming out. Let it run for at least 10 seconds or so and make sure that it does not slow
down, and that the stream is nice and round, and not sputtering. Oh, and simply blowing air backwards
through the shutoff valve is a short term fix at best. Whatever crap you blew off the screen will find its
way back there in short order.

If it passes the tank flow test, do the same thing with the line on the back of the injection pump. It won't
come out quite as fast, however it still should be a continuous stream.

Thank you, I will try what your have said. Another note: While doing all that I have described, I also took out the shutoff valve to look at the strainer after replacing it the second time. The strainer appeared to be clean and the flow straight out of the valve was good. When I looked in the tank, I saw a film of rust, but when the fuel was flowing I did not see any particles.

1. When first having this problem, could rust particles have made it through the strainer and filter down stream into the injector lines?

Thank you again.

Rick

No amount of crap should be able to make it past the filter. When it plugs up, fuel flow should stop. Which
is why I asked you to check for good flow at the back of the pump.

(quoted from post at 14:39:22 07/05/23) No amount of crap should be able to make it past the filter. When it plugs up, fuel flow should stop. Which
is why I asked you to check for good flow at the back of the pump.

What I have done is to removed the injector lines and used compressed air to blow them out. They were clean.

I have attached videos that show the flow from the tank to the fuel filter cover. Does this seems like it is adequate flow?

I checked the back of the pump where the line goes from the backside of the pump to the front injector. Very little fluid seen.

Picture 1: Shutoff valve opened with fuel coming out of hose.
Picture 2: Fuel coming out of shutoff valve alone.
Picture 3: Fuel coming out of fuel filter cover.

[video play=false:7cdbe42d44]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/videos/mvvideo107341.mp4[/video:7cdbe42d44]
[video play=false:7cdbe42d44]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/videos/mvvideo107343.mp4[/video:7cdbe42d44]
[video play=false:7cdbe42d44]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/videos/mvvideo107344.mp4[/video:7cdbe42d44]

I would say that test #1 and 2 are minimum acceptable, although I'd like to see more volume than that.

Run test #3 again, but this time with the filter on. I want to see what comes out of the line that feeds the back of the
injection pump.

(quoted from post at 19:54:25 07/05/23) I would say that test #1 and 2 are minimum acceptable, although I'd like to see more volume than that.

Run test #3 again, but this time with the filter on. I want to see what comes out of the line that feeds the back of the
injection pump.

I ran the test again, but nothing free flowed out. See the photo.

To answer the other question, the metal line that was connected between the shutoff valve and fuel filter cover is damaged. The thread on one of the connections is stripped. The fuel cover was also replaced with an aftermarket cover.

Thanks again for the response. If you can think of anything further please let me know.

Rick.

[video play=false:1e7d743906]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/videos/mvvideo107351.mp4[/video:1e7d743906]

Either that filter is plugged, or more likely you have a misplaced seal on the filter. Take the filter back off and make sure
that your seal is not blocking the internal passage in the filter. Some designs of filters lend themselves to this mistake.

(quoted from post at 06:56:38 07/06/23) Either that filter is plugged, or more likely you have a misplaced seal on the filter. Take the filter back off and make sure
that your seal is not blocking the internal passage in the filter. Some designs of filters lend themselves to this mistake.

Thank you, I'll give that a try. Also, do you think that the aftermarket cover may cause a problem?

Thanks for your suggestion.

I'd change the filter again and make sure you get the gaskets correct... and I also agree with Bern that the flow from the tank is
mabey minimally acceptable, if the tank level is low. It should push a lot more fuel from the tank if the strainer is clear and
the valve not obstructed. I don't like that braided line either. I suspect you lost quite a bit of cross section on that compared
to the original.

Rod

(quoted from post at 15:28:56 07/06/23)
He replaced the filter base and is calling it the cover

First off, I would like to thank everyone for such great advice. I finally have been able to get it running. Here's what I ended up doing:

1. I replaced the entire (CAV) fuel unit with an aftermarket product (JDMSpeed fuel filter assembly) that came complete with a fuel filter.

2. Then I did my best to get all the air out of the fuel lines and cranked over the engine for a couple of minutes.

3. I then added starter fluid to the air intake.

With all your help and trying to not give up, it finally started

In reflecting what was going on, I believe I was not able to get an air tight seal on the FIR fuel filter with the CAV fuel assembly I tried to use.

Thanks again for helping me out. Rick

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back