Ford 2N starting problem

mnuss1

New User
I have a 1945 2N Ford. It has developed a propensity for inconsistent starting. I've had the battery checked and it is fine.
If I leave it on a charger all night I maybe have 50/50 chance of it starting next AM. If it doesn't fire within about 3-4 turns of the crank, it's dead. I've check all connections for corrosion and connection. Battery is fully charged at 6.8 volts. Turn on the key, it drops to 6.2. Push the starter, doesn't start, it goes to 5.6 volts and no power goes to the starter. It's completely dead. Where would someone suggest I begin to look? Cheers!

Welcome.

Others here know much more than I.

Does the starter turn? or nothing?

How about jumpering bat voltage direct to starter post to bypass switch/connection problems.

If it turns OK then switch or connections. If not starter or starter ground.

Make dam sure tractor is in neutral, so you don't squash yourself.

mnuss1 , Have the battery tested at a quality shop with a good load tester.I suspect a bad battery not caring a load.

A volt meter will tell you if you have a bad battery, but it won't tell you if you have a good battery.

If you have a hydrometer, you should see 1.265 specific gravity in each cell.

Or have it load tested.
75 Tips

Just a thought, but all of these tractors are pretty fussy about having a good ground. So check the chassis ground to make sure that's a good connection. (I had to grind off some paint on mine that was causing an intermittent connection.)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back