Ford 3000 Clutch issues

Ddirose

New User
Hi everyone. I have a Ford 3000 8 speed, dual clutch. I can not get the 1.5 inch free play on the clutch pedal. The least I can get is 3 inches. The crazy thing is, is I can engage the back pto, and disengage the back pto, without using the clutch pedal while the tractor is running. If I step on the clutch pedal while the pto is running, the pto will not stop. Is the first stage of my clutch shot? This is a loader tractor, and I really don’t want to split this tractor unless I have to. Please help, many thanks.

Hi everyone. I have a Ford 3000 8 speed, dual clutch. I can not get the 1.5 inch free play on the clutch pedal. The least I can get is 3 inches. The crazy thing is, is I can engage the back pto, and disengage the back pto, without using the clutch pedal while the tractor is running. If I step on the clutch pedal while the pto is running, the pto will not stop. Is the first stage of my clutch shot? This is a loader tractor, and I really don’t want to split this tractor unless I have to. Please help, many thanks.
Early 3000s have two hole in the arm coming out of the transmission...AND... the clevis and pin MUST be set in to the higher pedal position (forwards hole) for correct operation. Later 3000s were changed to a single hole in the on the clutch arm. AND.... the pto clutch plate can "stick" "rust" as my tractor did, and I had to split it to break the pto clutch plate loose from the flywheel.

To the top of the transmission case or a little higher
Some clutch rod clevis have 2 holes, the outer hole lowers the pedal height for easier clutch use but doesn’t allow use of the pto
The shorter hole position raises the pedal up to a near uncomfortable position but allows disengagement of the pto clutch

Early 3000s have two hole in the arm coming out of the transmission...AND... the clevis and pin MUST be set in to the higher pedal position (forwards hole) for correct operation. Later 3000s were changed to a single hole in the on the clutch arm. AND.... the pto clutch plate can "stick" "rust" as my tractor did, and I had to split it to break the pto clutch plate loose from the flywheel.
That would explain why I can’t get the free play of less than 3 inches. If the clutch is stuck to the flywheel that would give me that extra 1.5 inches that I can’t make up. I wish there was a way to do this without splitting the tractor. I’m still baffled how I can engage the pto without using the clutch.

To the top of the transmission case or a little higher
Some clutch rod clevis have 2 holes, the outer hole lowers the pedal height for easier clutch use but doesn’t allow use of the pto
The shorter hole position raises the pedal up to a near uncomfortable position but allows disengagement of the pto clutch
I do have two holes, It doesn’t make a difference in either hole. I still have 3 inches of pedal travel.

The crazy thing is, is I can engage the back pto, and disengage the back pto, without using the clutch pedal while the tractor is running. If I step on the clutch pedal while the pto is running, the pto will not stop.
That really doesn't sound possible if there is something connected to the shaft, not sure even with nothing connected.

I do have two holes, It doesn’t make a difference in either hole. I still have 3 inches of pedal travel.

Are you saying you only have 3 inches of working pressure
I was thinking you were referring to free play
If it’s 3” of working pressure that’s what has happened to my FIL’s 3000, the pressure plate has fingers have collapsed and I have to split it to replace the clutch assembly

This question is kind of like "did you unplug and plug it back in?" But, are both clutch shafts connect to the rear pivot point and, do both levers in front of the clutch rotate when pedal is pushed? I am assuming this clutch is like my 960.

What equipment do you have hooked to the tractor PTO shaft while doing this testing? Nothing?

With nothing hooked to the PTO shaft, it is not uncommon to be able to engage and disengage a PTO without the clutch. Hook it up to something to load it and report back on how it works.
With nothing hooked to the PTO shaft, it is not uncommon to be able to engage and disengage a PTO without the clutch. Hook it up to something to load it and report back on how it works.
Will do, thank you.

THEN.... in the lower pedal position, it is easy to operate the tractor for plowing and other chores, BUT the pto will not cut off when the clutch pedal is all the way down. In the forwards hole, the pedal will be about an inch higher, and the pto will/should stop with the pedal all the way to the running board. BUT.. you must have a load on the pto for it to stop and the clutch may be sticky and rusty enough that may have to break the pto clutch loose with a heavy load. Later models were redesigned and only had one hole and did not need the second hole. A operators manual off of ebay or amazon will... show you how to used it and also how to adjust it. https://www.walmart.com/ip/FORD-300...2?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101002089

THEN.... in the lower pedal position, it is easy to operate the tractor for plowing and other chores, BUT the pto will not cut off when the clutch pedal is all the way down. In the forwards hole, the pedal will be about an inch higher, and the pto will/should stop with the pedal all the way to the running board. BUT.. you must have a load on the pto for it to stop and the clutch may be sticky and rusty enough that may have to break the pto clutch loose with a heavy load. Later models were redesigned and only had one hole and did not need the second hole. A operators manual off of ebay or amazon will... show you how to used it and also how to adjust it. https://www.walmart.com/ip/FORD-300...2?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101002089
Your post is making me go check mine, it behaves very much like you describe. Just out of curiosity is all.

Also that operators manual has a ton of great info! I love it.

I just checked and I am I am in the lower hole. I will move it tomorrow and see what happens. Many thanks. Will report back.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back