Ford 3400 select-o- speed

Rpod

New User
Working on a ford 3400 with a selecto-speed transmission and the engine oil is going into the transmission any idea's .....thanks

Working on a ford 3400 with a selecto-speed transmission and the engine oil is going into the transmission any idea's .....thanks
Hello Rpod, welcome to YT! I hate to see the first reply you get here as coming across somewhat confrontational. Respectfully, is there any chance you mistakenly stated the problem you are having in reverse of reality? No need to be embarrassed, we are all just trying to find the same spot of enjoyment with older cantankerous machines.

Could it be the rear main seal is leaking on the engine??? Is that what your saying? thanks.

LOL well after running for 30 minute the engine is 3 quarts low and the transmission is 3 Quarts over full Believe me i've worked on a lot of things but this one has me puzzled thought someone might say there's an internal cooler or something.... There is a weep hole in the bottom of the bell housing and it's dry so i pretty much ruled out a rear main seal... any ideas...?

Okay men of all things Ford. Any remote possibility that some how the seal is bad on the hydraulic pump and there is some how a vacuum drawn from internal of the pump sucking in engine oil? Very far fetched I know. 3 quarts is 30 minutes is a lot for that scenario. Hydraulic pump mount
My other thought is somewhere along the line an oil pressure gauge was added and the line is pinched under a cover leaking oil in.
Rp, this has been repeated multiple times?

LOL well after running for 30 minute the engine is 3 quarts low and the transmission is 3 Quarts over full Believe me i've worked on a lot of things but this one has me puzzled thought someone might say there's an internal cooler or something.... There is a weep hole in the bottom of the bell housing and it's dry so i pretty much ruled out a rear main seal... any ideas...?

Is the oil going into the transmission or the hydraulic sump, they are separate compartments
The sos has oil cooler lines going to the radiator but has no connection to the engines oil system
The engine mounted hydraulic pump is pressure lubricated by the engine but transferring engine oil to the hydraulics thru the pump would be a very rare occurrence

Is the oil going into the transmission or the hydraulic sump, they are separate compartments
The sos has oil cooler lines going to the radiator but has no connection to the engines oil system
The engine mounted hydraulic pump is pressure lubricated by the engine but transferring engine oil to the hydraulics thru the pump would be a very rare occurrence
Do you or anyone have any photos of one of these hydraulic drives that mount on the engine? How does the engine oil pressure get to it? There does not seem to be a port shown in the parts drawing or at least indicated by the gasket unless oil comes up around a bolt.

Not very likely that anyone can tell you how that could happen. The only way that I can think of is if you were to drain some from the engine and pour in into the fill hole on the
There is no way for engine oil can migrate to transmission. The hyd/ra oil can get in engine thru hyd pump.

Hello Rpod, welcome to YT! I hate to see the first reply you get here as coming across somewhat confrontational. Respectfully, is there any chance you mistakenly stated the problem you are having in reverse of reality? No need to be embarrassed, we are all just trying to find the same spot of enjoyment with older cantankerous machines.
shaun, go stand in the corner!!

I'm ASSUMING the hydraulic pump is gear-driven off of the back of the engine camshaft?

The gears are lubed by engine oil that's slung around, and there must be a double-lipped seal on the hydraulic pump input shaft making it EASY for engine oil to get sucked into the hydraulic pump.

Just a couple of miles from here there's a a BIG Ford/Versatile with spun engine bearings sitting "dead in the water" because 10 gallons of engine oil in the big 14L Cummins sneaked through the cam gear driven hydraulic pump seal into the hydraulic system, so it can DEFINITELY happen!

Not very likely that anyone can tell you how that could happen. The only way that I can think of is if you were to drain some from the engine and pour in into the fill hole on the

shaun, go stand in the corner!!
@showcrop ”Okay men of all things Ford.” It seems like you are one of these, it looks like your best shot is denial at this point. Chew on wo’s reply 10 for a bit.

Last edited:
Do you or anyone have any photos of one of these hydraulic drives that mount on the engine? How does the engine oil pressure get to it? There does not seem to be a port shown in the parts drawing or at least indicated by the gasket unless oil comes up around a bolt.

IMG_4040.jpeg

Look at the hole in the gasket next to the number 14, that hole lines up with one in the block that goes to the main oil galley
The Hydraulic pumps have a drill hole that lines up with the gasket to feed oil up to the pump drive

I ask again is the engine oil getting into the hydraulic sump and rear axle or in the transmission

View attachment 69654

Look at the hole in the gasket next to the number 14, that hole lines up with one in the block that goes to the main oil galley
The Hydraulic pumps have a drill hole that lines up with the gasket to feed oil up to the pump drive

I ask again is the engine oil getting into the hydraulic sump and rear axle or in the transmission
Thanks DS450, I see now. Per the “last seen” the OP has not seen any of today’s posts, unless he is viewing them and not signing in.

View attachment 69654

@showcrop ”Okay men of all things Ford.” It seems like you are one of these, it looks like your best shot is denial at this point. Chew on wo’s reply 10 for a bit.
I have a 960 that has no hydraulic pump. It has a proof meter drive in its place. The proof meter drive is just a gear that sits down into the side of the block and engages the gear on the camshaft. The hydraulic pump when present is a pump like any pump, that develops pressure in liquid. pumps are driven most commonly by a motor of some sort through a shaft. There is usually a seal on this shaft which prevents the pressurized liquid from flooding the power source so that there is pressure available for the purpose that the pump was designed for. This seal would of course also prevent liquids from an adjacent housing being drawn into the pump housing. If the seal were not tight it would draw more air than oil mist, and there would of course be no hydraulic pressure being produced.

Okay men of all things Ford. Any remote possibility that some how the seal is bad on the hydraulic pump and there is some how a vacuum drawn from internal of the pump sucking in engine oil? Very far fetched I know. 3 quarts is 30 minutes is a lot for that scenario. Hydraulic pump mount
My other thought is somewhere along the line an oil pressure gauge was added and the line is pinched under a cover leaking oil in.
Rp, this has been repeated multiple times?
I understand what you are saying The engine oil pressure light was coming on so i installed a pressure gauge to make sure it wasnt a faulty sending unit and it was still loosing engine oil pressure. The transmission has a separate oil reservoir and have pulled the top off the rear end and three point pump reservoir changed the filter cleaned the pickup screen and didnt see any sign of leakage from the transmission into that box that is what is so confusing, thanks for the input...

thanks to Destroked450 i think that is my problem thank you guys for all your input im now sure that is the problem thanks again...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back