Ford 4000 SOS Clutch

I have a 1964 ford 4000 Gas with the Select-O-Speed. I have never had an issue with this tractor before but when baling hay last week I clicked down a gear and the tractor just stopped and the PTO disengaged, I have no movement in any gear at all and no PTO. I disengaged the axle and pulled it to my shop to split it figuring the torque limiting clutch let go. Now that its split and have removed the clutch it doesn't look as bad as I expected. on the pressure plate and flywheel there is signs of slipping but the disc is relatively intact still. Is this what one looks like worn out or do i need to dig deeper into the transmission? really don't want to put it it back together and it not work and also don't want to have to tear into the SOS if i don't need to. pictures attached for reference.
cvphoto51654.jpg

cvphoto51655.jpg

cvphoto51656.jpg

cvphoto51657.jpg

Your symptoms are a classic "stripped splines" case. Since that did not happen, what about the riveted hub in the center of the disc? Is it still tight? Your problem is certainly not the normal slippage you see on the clutch surfaces.

If the hub is good, I'm going to guess that something broke inside your pump, causing a sudden and complete loss of pressure. In hindsight, a pressure test should have been done before splitting the tractor.

(quoted from post at 14:10:13 07/28/20) What Bern said, pressure test should have been done. Neighbor had one that stopped the same way, his had one of the steel lines break apart inside.

can you build an adaptor and fasten the transmission into a make shift frame and spin the transmission with an electric motor or another tractor to essentially make a test stand so you can diagnose it outside the tractor??? i have seen this done somewhere.

Yea should have done it prior to the split. Disc and input shaft are fine. I'm going to pull the top cover tomorrow and see if there is anything obvious before I break it down anymore.

Ok I checked the disc and shaft all is good. I pulled the rope cover just to see anything obvious which I didnt. Is there anything i could check or just put it back together and perform pressure tests?

(quoted from post at 10:17:28 08/01/20)

Probably mis-typed top as rop and auto-correct kicked in.

Yes! One can assume that. But I believe it's always better to know than to assume.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back