Ford 4000 SU Diesel stabilizer bars / chains

gmcinnes

Gentlemen:

I have a Ford 4000 SU Diesel. I need to do something to stabilize the lift arms because when I'm using my brush hog it flops around like a freshly landed trout, and it's gonna damage the lift arms or the PTO at some point.

From my reading here it seems that adjustable stabilizer bars are a better bet than stabilizer chains, so that's what I'll go with, barring any other advice here.

My question revolves around something that I haven't seen on similar machines, and whether it will interfere with the stabilizer arms.

Under the rear axle, on each side, there is a bracket with a pin, attached to the U-bolt around the axle that affixes the fenders. See pictures below (the yellow parts you can see are a loader, btw). Any one have any idea what this is for? It seems roughly in the right position for a stabilizer bar, but it looks like it might have been fabricobbled by a previous owner.

Does it look like it would interfere with one of the aftermarket stabilizer bar kits sold by reliableaftermarketparts and others ( https://www.reliableaftermarketpart...it-fits-ford-2810-2910-3910-4000-4610-tractor )

Thanks again for your time gents. Very much appreciated.

-grant

PXL_20240506_223306093-EDIT.jpg
PXL_20240506_223242025-EDIT.jpg
PXL_20240507_151457031.jpg
PXL_20240507_151413979.jpg

Gentlemen:

I have a Ford 4000 SU Diesel. I need to do something to stabilize the lift arms because when I'm using my brush hog it flops around like a freshly landed trout, and it's gonna damage the lift arms or the PTO at some point.

From my reading here it seems that adjustable stabilizer bars are a better bet than stabilizer chains, so that's what I'll go with, barring any other advice here.

My question revolves around something that I haven't seen on similar machines, and whether it will interfere with the stabilizer arms.

Under the rear axle, on each side, there is a bracket with a pin, attached to the U-bolt around the axle that affixes the fenders. See pictures below (the yellow parts you can see are a loader, btw). Any one have any idea what this is for? It seems roughly in the right position for a stabilizer bar, but it looks like it might have been fabricobbled by a previous owner.

Does it look like it would interfere with one of the aftermarket stabilizer bar kits sold by reliableaftermarketparts and others ( https://www.reliableaftermarketpart...it-fits-ford-2810-2910-3910-4000-4610-tractor )

-grant

View attachment 70114View attachment 70115View attachment 70116View attachment 70117
The attachment point for the stabilizer bars (or chains) under the fender should be lined up with the pin that attaches the three point arm to the tractor. Yours don't appear to line up in the pics but maybe they do.

Gentlemen:

-grant

View attachment 70114View attachment 70115View attachment 70116View attachment 70117
That's the attaching point for non-adjustable sway bars.

The attachment point for the stabilizer bars (or chains) under the fender should be lined up with the pin that attaches the three point arm to the tractor. Yours don't appear to line up in the pics but maybe they do.
Eyeballing it I'd say they're almost an inch below the lift arm pins and maybe half an inch rearward, so that's not great.

Do I need them for adjustable bars, or will they cause any problems?

That's the attaching point for non-adjustable sway bars.
Oh. Ok. I've never noticed them on other pictures on here. Because I'm a newb, can I just check that a sway bar and a stabilizer bar are two names for the same thing?

I don't think I'm interested in the non adjustable bar because my implements are all different sizes.

And from what I read the chains can be a pain because under certain conditions they can rub against the tires.

Those are factory stabilizer brackets for the flat stabilizer bars, but appear to be for a different model, possibly a 5000
The adjustable chain system works good if you keep the inside chains in place, I have that on one of my tractors
The adjustment bar system also works really well, not sure if one can attach the adjustable bar stabilizer to the factory brackets or not , but don’t think so
Shop around and you should find some for around $130 per side
IMG_4051.jpeg

Last edited:
Gentlemen:

-grant

I will offer a different view.
The bars will not do well when the pin does not line up with the pivot point of the link arm.
I use the chain system sold by TSC. I can not make the chains tight as the chains get tighter when you lift the mower.
The chain system is cheaper too!
YMMV

The pins must line up... If they dont, when you raise and lower, the arms will be pulled in or out, pending on the height and the unequal change..thus something will be eventually bent or broken. I believe that when they mounted the loader, these were grabbed off another tractor for a convenient loader mount... Can you reverse the mounts and line them up with the pins????? Otherwise have some home made mounts made and the pins set perfectly in line with your lift arm pins... I have seen the mounting ears broken off the axle trumpet from incorrectly aligned pins. Axle housing for the 6600 was about $750 back then.

I will offer a different view.
The bars will not do well when the pin does not line up with the pivot point of the link arm.
I use the chain system sold by TSC. I can not make the chains tight as the chains get tighter when you lift the mower.
The chain system is cheaper too!
YMMV

This is true
I have this setup on the 5600, there’s enough sloop in the linkage to allow for slight misalignment but still keeps a implement from flopping around
The factory bar system on my 6610 allows for a inch or two of side movement which is about the same as one gets with the hole to pin clearance on the old flat bar setup

Last edited:
For my 860, I make my own sway bar. It's stout enough that I only need one. One is a lot easier to hook up than two.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back