Ford 4500 axle seal

tkelburn

New User
Hello, I just replaced the left rear outer axle seal on my 68 Ford 4500. After I had the whole assembly put back together I poured some hydraulic fluid into the alle housing and it's leaking a lot from where the seal housing meets the axle housing. I feel like I tightened everything down good. I'm thinking about using some gasket sealer around the axle housing with a new seal. Has anybody replaced theirs and had any problems? the original seal had no sings of any sealer being used. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank, Tom K

Hi Bern, I see it now, I thought that was a post from a long time ago. I saw that the seal housing was like a 1/16" from the axle housing. I checked the left side seal and saw the same 1/16" space between the seal housing and the axle housing. I just figured that was normal because that side does not leak. I did not see the groove before so I will take a closer look. Thank You for bringing that to my attention. It sucks to be getting older and not seeing that well anymore. I will let you know how it goes

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back