Ford 5000 Coolant Drain

jrslv

Guys,

How to completely drain an engine's coolant system? Is there a water drain plug on the engine block itself?

My radiator blew this sping so I took if off my [b:df664dd6e4]1965 Ford 5000 Diesel[/b:df664dd6e4] tractor. After I put the repaired radiator back, I put deionized water just to test it. Now I need to replace the water with a real 50/50 antifreeze mix. But how do I do that properly?

I drained the system by disconnecting the hose from the radiator's bottom (intake) pipe. I thought this is the lowest point in the system, so it should be empty now.

But I could only add 2.5 ga of antifreeze and the radiator was already full (at just an inch below the filler pipe). Compare that with 3 full ga of water I poured into the radiator when it was dray, and it wasn't even full as the water was barely covering the fins inside.

It seems like there was still 1 ga of water left after I "drained" it.

What do I do now? Drain it again and add antifreeze in the hope diluting the remaining water down to acceptable level?

Thanks,
Jaroslav

(quoted from post at 23:38:27 09/17/23) Guys,

How to completely drain an engine's coolant system? Is there a water drain plug on the engine block itself?

My radiator blew this sping so I took if off my [b:d0a81a4bd4]1965 Ford 5000 Diesel[/b:d0a81a4bd4] tractor. After I put the repaired radiator back, I put deionized water just to test it. Now I need to replace the water with a real 50/50 antifreeze mix. But how do I do that properly?

I drained the system by disconnecting the hose from the radiator's bottom (intake) pipe. I thought this is the lowest point in the system, so it should be empty now.

But I could only add 2.5 ga of antifreeze and the radiator was already full (at just an inch below the filler pipe). Compare that with 3 full ga of water I poured into the radiator when it was dray, and it wasn't even full as the water was barely covering the fins inside.

It seems like there was still 1 ga of water left after I "drained" it.

What do I do now? Drain it again and add antifreeze in the hope diluting the remaining water down to acceptable level?

Thanks,
Jaroslav

As Bern indicated the block drain will be the lowest point.

Run the tractor up to operating temp as is. Maybe a couple of times. Using a coolant tester, check the freeze point. If it is not where you want it, drain the coolant, and adjust with more antifreeze, then refill.

Don't overfill. Should end up just a bit over the top of the tubes.

Hopefully you have used proper, diesel rated coolant. If not, time to correct.

(quoted from post at 13:24:47 09/20/23)
(quoted from post at 20:18:23 09/18/23) Any diesel rated anti-freeze should be fine.

Specifically look for SCA additives to control cavitation air bubbles.

Here's some reading for you

Yeah, mine has the SCA additives.

Also, I found the drain - it was right there - in clear sight - with an electric block heater inline :)

Thanks for the help guys!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back