Ford 535 Loader Tractor (Looking for input)

lkell93

New User
Hi All,

I thought I had a lead lined up to go look at an MF20 loader tractor (gasser) that had an engine rebuild and clutch replacement about 10 years ago, with about 20 hours of use per year, but that gentleman hasn't gotten back to me in a while, so I'm turning my attention elsewhere. That tractor was about 4.5 hours away (one way).

There is local gentleman that has been trying to sell his Ford 535 loader tractor (diesel) for a while (20 minutes away from me). I'll paste the link below, but I admittedly don't know much about these tractors (reliability, parts availability, fuel efficiency, etc.). Does anybody have any expierence or general opinions on the 535? I've got 8 acres and it would primarily be used for dragging logs, brush hogging, box blading, etc.

I've had my share of "junk" vehicle purchases in the past where I've bought other people's problems that they concealed...I'd prefer not do that with a tractor...even though I understand any 50+ year old tractor could present occasional issues.

The gentleman has said he's owned it for about 15 years, and is just looking to upgrade to a cab tractor for snow removal. He said that a local gentleman rebuild the engine and replaced the clutch a number of years ago under his ownership...but doesn't have any paperwork for it.

So anyway anybody have any advice? Is it worth a look, or am I likely to get myself into another expensive headache? If it's worth a look, what is a fair price?

535 is a nice dependable heavy duty industrial tractor, however every job you listed can be done with a standard ag tractor, so why are you looking at industrial models
A couple of observations about that tractor that are useable, but not ideal for the jobs you mentioned
The tractor does not have standard 3 point hydraulic lift, it has a external cylinder to operate the lift arms that are not adjustable like on a ag model, it will have the transmission pto which is not ideal for brush hogging, it likely has the 6x4 transmission that is good for loader opps but less desirable than the standard 8x2 for ag and general use

Unless you plan a lot more loader use than mentioned I’d look for a standard ag model with a farm style loader
In that size a Ford 4600 or other brand of equal size is plenty of tractor for your needs

I've got a 2600 diesel with a loader, if the loader wasn't a removeable loader I would have to have another tractor or would have sold it long ago. My loader is the least used piece of equipment for my tractor and with it on it's a pain to do other things with it as you have to pay very close attention to both ends of the tractor.

Well guys, I decided to pass...all four tires were surprisingly much worse than what the pictures showed...pretty badly weather checked all over.

That tractor was indeed a brute though...way more than what I would need, so I'm sure it'll make someone a great tractor.

Thank you all for your input/feedback! The search continues. 👍🏼

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back