Ford 555 Pivot Pin Replacement

LB's Wife

New User
My husband doesn't do computers, so here I am joining a forum to try to help. 😜 He is trying to replace the front axle pivot pin on a two wheel drive 555 backhoe and can't figure how to get it back in. He has the diagram

My husband doesn't do computers, so here I am joining a forum to try to help. 😜 He is trying to replace the front axle pivot pin on a two wheel drive 555 backhoe and can't figure how to get it back in. He has the diagram
Very welcome and you are courageous. There may be several tractor/loader/backhoes with those numbers. let him know we need the year if possible.
The best info I can give is to have assurance that the new pin fits in the new bushings (without being assembled. Bushings are often reamed to fit the new pin and can be to small if not "fit" by reaming. The second suggestion is to grind the old pin on one end to make 1/2" of it tapered slightly. this allows it to be used as a guide by having it in the hole first while the new pin is pushed in from the other side. Two people moving the axle/wheels while using a good light to see in the hole can also help. Greasing the bushing and pin with assembly lube is recommended. Connecting the "Y" brace can also help align the pin holes. Jim

If Ford 555 loosen bolt in front of axle pin, hit with big hammer, that will knock out rear pin, then get another pin smaller than small end of pin and knock out front half of pin.

Your husband wouldn't happen to be Lawrence Bernard would he?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back