Ford 555A Torque Converter Removal

mattyb515

Hi all,

The service manual says that the engine needs to be removed in order to get the torque converter out but I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with removing the converter without pulling the engine. If so I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to do it.

Thanks!

Hi all,

The service manual says that the engine needs to be removed in order to get the torque converter out but I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with removing the converter without pulling the engine. If so I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to do it.

Thanks!
There is no way to get the torque converter out without removing the engine.

Lift and block up the loader.
Pull the hood and fuel tank
Disconnect pump from crank
Disconnect power steering lines. Mark them
Might have to remove grill frame and radiator/coolers from front bolster
Remove front bolster and roll away
Disconnect linkages and remove engine
If the shuttle isn't working right, there are o-rings that are fairly easy to change that will likely fix it. Dad did that on his own one day. Kafferlin at Union City, PA told him where they are, but that was 15 years ago.
You've heard people say someone held up a heater core and told engineers "build me a car around this"?
Unfortunately Ford did that with a torque convertor for the backhoe.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back