Ford 660 barely runs.

CheapJeep

New User
Hey all.
So Im trying to refresh an old Ford 660 and things were going well, untill they weren't. All new ignition parts, rebuilt the carb. Had it running very well. Then all of a sudden it will barely "run". Can only get it to fire with throttle set to idle full choke. Sounds like its only running on one or two cylinders and will only run for a few seconds then dies. Also backfiring through carb.

Have installed a new carb, new fuel shutoff on the bottom of the tank. Having a hard time getting the sediment bowl to completely seal. Have checked spark in a 4 cylinders (good). Checked compression, all read 115-130psi. Removed valve cover and everything appeared to be doing as it should. Its acting like the timing is out but dont think thats possible.

Any suggestions on where to tinker next would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

Hey all.
So Im trying to refresh an old Ford 660 and things were going well, untill they weren't. All new ignition parts, rebuilt the carb. Had it running very well. Then all of a sudden it will barely "run". Can only get it to fire with throttle set to idle full choke. Sounds like its only running on one or two cylinders and will only run for a few seconds then dies. Also backfiring through carb.

Have installed a new carb, new fuel shutoff on the bottom of the tank. Having a hard time getting the sediment bowl to completely seal. Have checked spark in a 4 cylinders (good). Checked compression, all read 115-130psi. Removed valve cover and everything appeared to be doing as it should. Its acting like the timing is out but dont think thats possible.

Any suggestions on where to tinker next would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks
If you spray some gas (use an old spray bottle) directly into the carburetor (with air filter tube removed), and quickly try to start it, what happens?

If you spray some gas (use an old spray bottle) directly into the carburetor (with air filter tube removed), and quickly try to start it, what happens?
I have had the air filter tube removed and attached with no change in outcome. I have not tried spraying fuel into the carb directly yet. It runs about the same with both the origional carb i rebuilt 2 years ago and the brand new one i just put on it. I did give it a small shot of quick start and that did not help. That just backfired and caught on fire. Lol.

I have had the air filter tube removed and attached with no change in outcome. I have not tried spraying fuel into the carb directly yet. It runs about the same with both the origional carb i rebuilt 2 years ago and the brand new one i just put on it. I did give it a small shot of quick start and that did not help. That just backfired and caught on fire. Lol.
Ok… Maybe give the sprayed gas technique a try. I find it’s a great method to determine if you have a fuel supply issue. Most vehicles will run surprisingly well if you continue to spray small amounts into the carburetor. I have also found that by running an engine in this way for a bit, you can also clean up existing fuel supply issues within the carb. A bit of heat, some vibration, and significant vacuum can often clear out a problem.

Get a can of starter fluid and spray into carb while cranking,, if it will run off the starter fluid, your getting no fuel.... I have run a tractor from the back pasture all the way to the barn by sitting on the hood (slowly)spraying starter fluid into the air filter while a worker drove it...

I have a 850 and it did the same thing. The copper strip in the distributor was cracked and the condenser was bad. Check the copper strip and replace the condenser. Mine was a new condenser so I do not know if the cracked copper strip hurt it or if it just went bad but I replaced the copper strip and it still ran just as you are describing. when I changed the condenser all was right again. I actually used the old condenser I had removed.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back