Ford 801 series, model 881

Hey everyone! New to the group as well as new to owning a tractor! I’ve got a few questions regarding the specific tractor I bought

I picked up a Ford 801 series, model 881 diesel SOS transmission, along with a Ford 730 series loader. It has power steering as well.

1. I used chalk to help with seeing the model and serial number. Can anyone help me identify the year and details with the serial number? They appear to be scrambled together since it was probably hand stamped. It’s an 881, you can barely see it, but it’s there.

2. On the side of the transmission it has the option for the 540/1000 PTO. I also have another option where it says on and off and from all the pictures, it appears that there’s lovers for both of those, but it doesn’t look like that my transmission will accept the levers because There is no knob sticking out to attach a lever to, it looks like just plugs are in there. What is the on/off?

3. my PTO is constantly running. My cable is frozen inside the sleeve, so I loosened the nut on the top of the transmission and it seems like there’s a lot of play to go backwards,about 2”, as if you were going to engage the PTO with the lever, but not so much going forward, to disengage. Hard to explain, but any ideas?

4. Lastly, at least for these sets of questions, what is the white canister near the hydraulic lift lever?

Attachments

• IMG_6770.jpeg
    IMG_6770.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6771.jpeg
    IMG_6771.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6764.jpeg
    IMG_6764.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6766.jpeg
    IMG_6766.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6767.jpeg
    IMG_6767.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
1. The serial number looks like 1x570, with the x being a zero over struck by a 1 or vice-versa. so either 101570, which would be a 1959 serial number, or 110570, which would be a 1960 serial number.

2. The second PTO control lever is for ground speed. The dual speed lever must be in the middle neutral position to be able to engage the ground speed, and the ground speed must be disengaged in order to move the other lever to the 540 or 1000 rpm speed positions. The 881 should have the "deluxe" PTO with 540/1000 dual speed plus ground speed. It looks like that transmission never had the deluxe option, so it may have been mis-stamped as 881, or the transmission was replaced at some point with a standard single speed PTO trans and they stamped the new one with the original model number even though it was effectively converted into a 871 when that transmission was swapped.

The white canister near the lift lever appears to be the optional dealer installed hydraulic filter for the 3 point lift hydraulics. Those are fairly rare.

The pto running all the time is common as there is no brake. Probably froze at tee handle, use some of your favorite penetrant and try moving a little at a time. Do Not remove top with out getting a manuel.

Where exactly is the 881 stamped on your tractor? It doesn't look like it is in the normal spot. Also your serial number is on the right side of the tractor when normally they are on the left side. I'm also going to lean towards that your tractor had its original transmission replaced at a dealership back in the day and they put in a standard pto version/871 version. I believe they were supposed to stamp the original numbers on the right side of the tractor when replacing a transmission. Sean is also correct about the white canister being the filter for the hydraulics which was a dealer installed option and as he said, quite rare.

1. The serial number looks like 1x570, with the x being a zero over struck by a 1 or vice-versa. so either 101570, which would be a 1959 serial number, or 110570, which would be a 1960 serial number.

2. The second PTO control lever is for ground speed. The dual speed lever must be in the middle neutral position to be able to engage the ground speed, and the ground speed must be disengaged in order to move the other lever to the 540 or 1000 rpm speed positions. The 881 should have the "deluxe" PTO with 540/1000 dual speed plus ground speed. It looks like that transmission never had the deluxe option, so it may have been mis-stamped as 881, or the transmission was replaced at some point with a standard single speed PTO trans and they stamped the new one with the original model number even though it was effectively converted into a 871 when that transmission was swapped.

The white canister near the lift lever appears to be the optional dealer installed hydraulic filter for the 3 point lift hydraulics. Those are fairly rare.
To me, the zero looks like there’s a 4 in it, but I can be mistaken too.

My assumption is that the transmission was swapped at some point in time, but who knows. When the tractor is running, the pto spins at whatever rpm the engine is spinning at, but I can’t get it to stop with a board. I turn the tractor off, and I can spin the pto by hand, but it’s really tough. I’ve got a guy who might sell me another 881, not sure what it looks like or condition, but was told it was running when he bought it, but it could be a good parts tractor to have laying around.

Well that’s nice that I might have a more rare hydraulic filter kit, I sure hope I can find a filter for it.

The pto running all the time is common as there is no brake. Probably froze at tee handle, use some of your favorite penetrant and try moving a little at a time. Do Not remove top with out getting a manuel.
When the tractor is off, I can turn the pto by hand but it’s fairly tough to do. I sprayed some PB in there I’ll see what happens.

Where exactly is the 881 stamped on your tractor? It doesn't look like it is in the normal spot. Also your serial number is on the right side of the tractor when normally they are on the left side. I'm also going to lean towards that your tractor had its original transmission replaced at a dealership back in the day and they put in a standard pto version/871 version. I believe they were supposed to stamp the original numbers on the right side of the tractor when replacing a transmission. Sean is also correct about the white canister being the filter for the hydraulics which was a dealer installed option and as he said, quite rare.
881 is stamped o ok n tje left side of tractor l, near the intake, and the serial number is stamped on the right behind the hydraulic pump.

To me, the zero looks like there’s a 4 in it, but I can be mistaken too.

My assumption is that the transmission was swapped at some point in time, but who knows. When the tractor is running, the pto spins at whatever rpm the engine is spinning at, but I can’t get it to stop with a board. I turn the tractor off, and I can spin the pto by hand, but it’s really tough. I’ve got a guy who might sell me another 881, not sure what it looks like or condition, but was told it was running when he bought it, but it could be a good parts tractor to have laying around.

Well that’s nice that I might have a more rare hydraulic filter kit, I sure hope I can find a filter for it.
It is a short engine oil filter. Ford called a 300, cannot remember part number.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back