Ford 860 Hydraulic fluid leak

cbrake

We recently reassembled our tractor:

And now the fluid is dripping off one of the hydraulic pump bolts at a good rate:

1712437615616.png

Any thoughts what might be going on here or where it is leaking? I'm pretty sure it is hydraulic fluid as the level seems to be going down. We did not take the pump apart, but removed the pump and manifold as one piece when we split the tractor. The bolts feel tight in the pump.

You need to clean that entire area with a good de-greaser so that it is clean and dry, then sprinkle baby powder over the entire area and then start the tractor or just a few seconds. The powder at the point of the leak should turn dark and start clumping almost immediately if it's dripping that much. It looks to me like it is leaking between the manifold and the pump, or possibly the manifold has a crack in it, but the baby power should tell you for sure.

There are 2 o-rings on each end of the manifold.
I suspect that is where the leak is.
It may cost you $30 for those 4 o-rings but do not cheap out and buy generic parts from the auto parts store.
Buy the correct o-rings from the new holland dealer or you might be doing the job a second time.

Thanks for the suggestions -- I got an o-ring kit that had two sets of rings and replaced the ones on the lower end of the manifold -- guess I should have done the upper too while it was off ...

There are 2 o-rings on each end of the manifold.
I suspect that is where the leak is.
It may cost you $30 for those 4 o-rings but do not cheap out and buy generic parts from the auto parts store.
Buy the correct o-rings from the new holland dealer or you might be doing the job a second time.
Are for $30 buy several hundred o-rings square are round...

Thanks for the suggestions -- I got an o-ring kit that had two sets of rings and replaced the ones on the lower end of the manifold -- guess I should have done the upper too while it was off ...
Between the pump and manifold the o-rings are of square cross section. Use the correct ones, whatever it takes to get them.

Between the pump and manifold the o-rings are of square cross section. Use the correct ones, whatever it takes to get them.
Yes the two o-rings between the manifold and the trans are just normal o-rings.
Even New Holland has them for less than $1
But the ones that go between the manifold and the pump are special.
About $15 a piece from New Holland.
I would not trust any aftermarket o-rings for this spot.
Even if they sell them for this specific application.

Ford was very bad about using odd sized o-rings on these tractors.
I consider most o-rings on these tractors as dealer only parts.

Yes the two o-rings between the manifold and the trans are just normal o-rings.
Even New Holland has them for less than $1
But the ones that go between the manifold and the pump are special.
About $15 a piece from New Holland.
I would not trust any aftermarket o-rings for this spot.
Even if they sell them for this specific application.

Ford was very bad about using odd sized o-rings on these tractors.
I consider most o-rings on these tractors as dealer only parts.
What is a odd size o-ring ?. The only part I have ran across that uses a standard dash size that did not fit the machined specifications for the part was the unloader valve for the hydraulics. I paid $5 for one at a CNH dealer it was a standard sized -114. From there I used a -114 and ordered a bag of 100 -114. The o-rings for the hydraulic manifold are standard off the shelf o-rings. If there is anything special about them it because they may be square, you can use a round one in its place as they are sized the same.

If checking the specifications in a o-ring chart is not in your wheelhouse by all means support your CNH store. If you buy a common o-ring kit it may not include some of the sizes Ford uses, either way there is nutt'in special about them.

The o-rings I keep on hand for his application, these are the ones a Ford tractor owner need to keep on hand.

The numbers from my parts manual show: 87053-S91 for the O-rings.
The existing ones I took out are round, so they are probably not correct.

Another question -- when fastening the hydralic pump back onto the block, do I need to order another gasket, or is there some type of goop that will work there in place of a gasket?

1713293787636.png

I stopped at the CNH store today and they gave me 134372 -- not the right part -- it is too large. Will try 86629540 next.

Today's lesson -- take the pump with you to the store and check the O-ring before you leave ...

I stopped at the CNH store today and they gave me 134372 -- not the right part -- it is too large. Will try 86629540 next.

Today's lesson -- take the pump with you to the store and check the O-ring before you leave
86629540 is a -214 the mesuments are in this link.

I called the dealer this morning and they had the other o-ring in stock and they are shipping me a couple + a gasket for the pump -- we'll see if these work.

@Hobo,NC -- thanks for the link -- will dig into this next if the above does not work.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back