fouling Autolite 437's lately

chetswen

New User
Anyone else having problems with these new plugs fouling within hours of being replaced lately. The last three plug changes I had a plug foul within hours, in one case two of the four fouled. Each time I replaced the fouled plug with an old plug I had removed and no more fouling. This is not happening in a single cylinder. Anyone have any experience with the NGK B4-L plugs?

Anyone else having problems with these new plugs fouling within hours of being replaced lately. The last three plug changes I had a plug foul within hours, in one case two of the four fouled. Each time I replaced the fouled plug with an old plug I had removed and no more fouling. This is not happening in a single cylinder. Anyone have any experience with the NGK B4-L plugs?
NGKs are all I have used for several years w/very little failure.

NGK
No Good Kind.
I have seen few problems with NGK's and the larger question is why are they fouling? Oil or gas?
12V system with 6V plug gap?
Yeah, not many people think about that.
Autolite quality has supposedly also gone off shore.

Currently the best plug, not in production, is made by Bosch. No overhanging electrode. Just a ring around the edge and the center electrode.
The gap between the center and the edge is your air gap. Plug never wears out. Hence, no plug sales, hence, NOT in production.

That's okay. Fiber optic is coming and plugs might be a thing of the past.

Look to your engine........not to plugs.

Reactions: lha
Switch to NGK3112 plugs and good chance the fouled plugs will be a thing of the past.

I have had no trouble with them but I haven't put any new ones in either. Just curious, if the old plugs don't foul, why are you changing them?

I am currently using H-10 C Champions,but H-12J , 3112-B4L and Accel 168 are good plugs.

I have used NGK plugs in my two trucks,my lawnmowers, tiller,9n and my Wife's Buick for years without problems. In my trucks,after two years they still are like new with only tan coloration on the white porcelain.

Before condemning the plugs have you done a spark test of the ignition system? A compression test?

I use 437 all the time Got one cylinder that oil fouls after a while but that is not the fault of the plug.

#1 on my 9N fouls quicker than the rest, usually cold weather and that's the last one to warm up.

I used to use Autolite but some years back the quality seemed to go down. The plugs still worked but the finish on the outside was poor and they'd rust up just sitting there. My tractor does live outside but it's always well covered with a HD military tarp. Been using NGKs since then, the chromed surface don't rust up.

The plug may not be your issue but no Junk Autolite plugs have been used here since 2010. The only thing I will give them credit for is they admitted they had issues.

A little more back round. The fouled plug problem is happening in two different 8n's. I have owned and maintained one since 1975 and the other since 1978, exclusively with 437's. Both tractors were 12 volt conversions around 1990, needed better lighting. :) The current problems occurred when the plugs were changed as part of a full routine tune up. All 4 fouled plugs were in different cylinders, each time replaced with a plug that was removed during the tune up. In all cases that solved the fouling problem. I was more or less just wondering if I was just really unlucky, or if Autolite was now having some quality control problems.

A little more back round. The fouled plug problem is happening in two different 8n's. I have owned and maintained one since 1975 and the other since 1978, exclusively with 437's. Both tractors were 12 volt conversions around 1990, needed better lighting. :) The current problems occurred when the plugs were changed as part of a full routine tune up. All 4 fouled plugs were in different cylinders, each time replaced with a plug that was removed during the tune up. In all cases that solved the fouling problem. I was more or less just wondering if I was just really unlucky, or if Autolite was now having some quality control problems.
Like many things good chance there made in the land of almost right so not as good as they once where. That is why I use the NGK3112 plugs

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back