front mount electronic ignition

Anonymous-0

Well, this is the first i heard of these for front mount distributors. i think the name starts with a "P" but not sure now. $150 to boot.
Are they worth it and do they last?

Aurthur...

My points last years. My points are set on my front mount, as well as the time for about the last 5 years, I have a brand new set hangin on the work bench.

My points are 3 years older than my engine rebuild.

Some folks do like it though.

8N *236763*

Pertronix errr something like that.

hey dunk
does it give a more consistent spark?
what other advantage can it give other than a hassel every so often?
also, i have a set of points also but just today found out that the easiest way to change them is to remove the whole distributor. yes?
thanks

I think so, it is really about $10 worth of parts, they are makin a killing.

And then ifn it breaks, you have all of these unknown issues troubleshooting it.

As has been said.. you are paying 150$ for a handfull of electric components that costs a few dollars wholesale.. and their only real failure mode is 'toasty'... and buy a new 150$ set.

If your points burn up.. it costs you a whopping 3$ to get a new set..

I agree with dunk.. I get -years- on a set of points.. 150$ will probably buy all the points for my 'fleet' of tractors as long as i have all of them..

Soundguy

I'm NOT a great fan of the Pertronix units, however, in their defense, I will say that they have a 30-month warrantee.

On the rare occasion on does "go south", it's GREAT FUN waiting and jumping through hoops to get a replacement unit.

30 months... sweet.. considering it is for a tractor that has 'lived' 57-68 years...

For my money.. i think I wouldn't mind trying one of those electronic ignitions that still use the breaker contacts.. but they are in the low current 'switching' setup.. I think i recall seeing a hobby type kit for these a while back..

Soundguy

You need a zener diode and a to220 cased transistor 2n3055 if I remember.Less than a bucks worth of parts.I have notes somewhere on this.I had this on a 38 dodge a lot of years ago.Took it off because I thought the zener would fail..

I'm a fan of solid state ignition, but only on 12v systems. They will last forever once installed and working, and will give a hotter, more consistent spark with less moving parts. I got mine from Genesee, they provide excellent customer service after the sale, and that is the key to a good transaction. If/when I convert GT to 12v, it will get a new wiring harness and a Pertronix ignition from Genesee.

I have a Pertronix ignition system installed on my '66 VW that I converted to 12V. It has worked fine for me and I like not having to set points. There does seem to be a modest performance gain and smoother idle. I also like that it maintains a stock appearance by fitting within the distributor. I will probably put a Pertronix on my Studebaker too, but not my tractor.

I think they have Pertronix for 6V 8Ns too. I am never a fan of converting tractors to 12 volts, but old cars are a different story. The tractor starts and runs well, so I won't mess with it since I changed the points last fall.

Good ole' 2n3055's I can't tell you how many things I've made out of those guys.. even some class A audio amps.. and of course some class B using some 2955's.. etc.

I knew I saw a mention for something like that out there somewhere.

I got to track down a schematic one day.. or put pencil to paper and cobble up one..

Soundguy

Soundguy

Found the notes.TIP3055 points to base,coil to the emitter,positive ground to the collector.6a 50v diode between the collector and emitter.Diode cathode to the collector.There was room on the dodge dist plate for the parts.Positive ground systems only or smoke will roll.I would up the piv on the diode if I messed with this.Electronic mags were full of build your own transistor ignitions in the 50s 60s.Never could understand the hole theory on transistors.You will have to sketch this out to make sense of it.Pot this in epoxy and sell it for 150.00.

Is the diode in this discussion a regular silicon.. or a zenir.. if zenir.. what value did you use?

Soundguy

I assume negative to other side of the coil, as normal.

Also.. for the points to base.. Can I assume that points input is rewired to provide + at the base.. ?

Soundguy

There were 2 versions.The diode looks better.I think the diode is used to protect the transistor from voltage transients.Ill dig deeper into this, 45 year old memories are fuzzy.I cant find my reading glasses most of the time.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back