FYI. Inspecting parts purchased here.

Hidude

Hi all. Just a little gripe and heads up. Purchased about $2500 in parts 2 years ago for a long term rebuild on my 8n. Just unboxed the hydraulic pump drive shaft and coupler for the loader a few days ago. Inspected and found the keyed shaft cut small on the driveshaft. Contacted YT and sent them pics. They got back to me and verified they sold me a bad shaft that was machined wrong. Told me they would not offer me a replacement because it had been over 1 year since purchase. I was assured that they measured the new stock and it was correct so I could buy another new 1 with out worries. Not good business when there are so many places to order parts now days.
mvphoto102498.jpg

mvphoto102499.jpg

In my opinion the fault is yours.
Two Years is too long to expect a refund or
replacement - even for a defective part.
You say they told you they would replace it
up to one year. Even that is generous.
I'll bet the 'other places' might give you
6 months. If that.

If I bought $2500.00 worth of parts and received this kind of treatment I'd be $2500.00 worth of mad.

If I accumulatively sold someone $2500.00 worth of parts I'd be looking to not making that 2500 dollar customer mad.

(quoted from post at 11:36:11 02/14/23) Hi all. Just a little gripe and heads up. Purchased about $2500 in parts 2 years ago for a long term rebuild on my 8n. Just unboxed the hydraulic pump drive shaft and coupler for the loader a few days ago. Inspected and found the keyed shaft cut small on the driveshaft. Contacted YT and sent them pics. They got back to me and verified they sold me a bad shaft that was machined wrong. Told me they would not offer me a replacement because it had been over 1 year since purchase. I was assured that they measured the new stock and it was correct so I could buy another new 1 with out worries. Not good business when there are so many places to order parts now days.
mvphoto102498.jpg

mvphoto102499.jpg

thanks for your opinion. I guess i should have looked everything over more closely. Thats kinda my point of this post. If i had ordered the wrong parts i would never expect any help at this point. I guess its that they admitted they sold a bad part but wont stand behind it even past the 1 year return window. Ive worked in retail long ago and truck dealerships and was always taught to bend some of these policies if it was clear the mistake was ours and no fault of the customer.

Im going to try and file down a 3/16 key. if you know where i can easily order 1 please let me known. i did a little google search and didnt find anything obvious other than offset woodruff keys for different engine timing and stepped keystock in straight pieces

(quoted from post at 17:24:18 02/14/23)
Ive worked in retail long ago and truck dealerships and was always taught to bend some of these policies if it was clear the mistake was ours and no fault of the customer.

i started my working career in retail, and to an extent, i agree with this. as store manager, if we screwed up, i took care of it. but imo, this is not YT's fault. are they supposed to check everything they sell for tolerances before they ship it? this is the manufacturer's fault for making a bad part and it's on you for not noticing it for an extra year.

i've done this more than once - bought something and then paid no attention to it until the warranty had expired. so far, i've been lucky and gotten away with it. i feel for u, but at least u got off easy. a few bucks for a key that will work seems like a comparatively cheap lesson.

Hidude, I have filed down keys to make them fit.
Use vise and sharpie to mark progress when you get close.

Yes, there are ways to work around a bad part, for sure, BUT, if a company sells a bad part, they have a reputation to protect, and regardless of time, they need to stand behind what they sell. End of story!

One more thing to consider is that I doubt that YT could get reimbursed from their supplier for a bad part after two years.

From repairing a bunch of old machines around here, the one thing I have learned is no new part trumps and old part in decent condition. Its probably different in different places but around here about once a week I find an 8/9/2N whole either dirt cheap in running condition or every now and then, one someone has totally restored for not much more... somebody lost interest, ran out of room, the wife wants it gone or actually a lot I see are "tried everything, cant get it to run, lots of new part, come and get it".

Anytime I have bought NEW parts for either the other tractors here or the skidder or... whatever the machine is, they are almost always not right.

If I need to rebuild my 8N... I'll go find someone's spotless garage baby for $3500 and keep my old 8n for parts.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back