Good or Bad Toro 452 engine?

tractorguy2

I bought this mower new in 2019. Now has 300hrs on it. I've had no trouble with the engine. Yet I keep seeing videos on YoutTube and reading on the net that it's a poor engine and should avoid it at all costs. No one ever states what type of problems they have with this engine. Just wondering what problems are common?

I know Toro didn't make it and it's a Chinese knock off or a Honda.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 18
Toro branded engines are made by Loncin. They have made some engines in BMW motorcycles as well, I have only seen a few of the engines and don't know a lot about them. I haven't heard of any issues with them either.

I suppose there has to be good and bad engines from every manufacturer. I've never heard a good word about Briggs and Stratton Intek engines. From anybody but me.

I suppose there has to be good and bad engines from every manufacturer. I've never heard a good word about Briggs and Stratton Intek engines. From anybody but me.
The newer single cylinder Briggs and Stratton engines have issues with the compression release on the cam resulting in replacement of the camshaft. Not so much with the v-twin engines

People so worried about rain tomorrow that they can not enjoy the sunshine today. Could apply here.

If you have had no problems with the engine. Use and maintain it.

Senseless to go looking for worrying about problems when you do not have one.

I work for a Toro dealer. We are not seeing many problems with those engines. At least not with those that are regularly maintained. And lack of maintenance is an engine killer no matter what brand. Clean air and fresh oil are the life of any reasonably good engine.

As far as I know, Toro is the only source for parts for those engines. That is my only complaint. But then, Toro has always wanted to handle the engine parts business for their mowers. They used Subaru 2 cycle engines in some of their push mowers when nobody else had them. They used Tecumseh engines when almost nobody else used them, etc.

I work for a Toro dealer. We are not seeing many problems with those engines. At least not with those that are regularly maintained. And lack of maintenance is an engine killer no matter what brand. Clean air and fresh oil are the life of any reasonably good engine.

As far as I know, Toro is the only source for parts for those engines. That is my only complaint. But then, Toro has always wanted to handle the engine parts business for their mowers. They used Subaru 2 cycle engines in some of their push mowers when nobody else had them. They used Tecumseh engines when almost nobody else used them, etc.
The manual states to change oil every 100hrs. I've been changing oil and filter every 50-85hrs. New air filter every spring. Last year due to the drought I only put 22hrs on the oil change. Might not change it this spring. Propartsdirect.com has engine parts and mower parts. I bought a carb kit from ProParts so I would have the gaskets on hand. Carquest has a Oil Filter for it that costs little over $5.00. I use the mower in the cemetery for the tight spots the larger mower won't fit. I did have to replace the spindle bearings. Lots of wire in the cemetery from all the artificial flowers. The local welding shop had the bearings for $8.50 each.

I have watched several small engine techs with YouTube channels say to avoid the Toro engine at all costs but they never say why. Sounds like they don't have a reason to avoid it other than personal reasons.

People never did fully get over Toro destroying Lawnboy. When Toro did away with the offset wheel and aluminum frame mowers. All that was left were rebranded Toros painted green.

I guess you can say I am one. For I would spend $500 keeping my eight Lawnboys going before I would pay a dime for a new Toro.

People never did fully get over Toro destroying Lawnboy. When Toro did away with the offset wheel and aluminum frame mowers. All that was left were rebranded Toros painted green.

I guess you can say I am one. For I would spend $500 keeping my eight Lawnboys going before I would pay a dime for a new Toro.
I have and still use 2 old 2-stroke Lawn-Boy mowers for a mowing service myself. One is an old 1960's bricktop and the other is much newer, probably late 80's or early 90's. Wouldn't trade them for anything!

People so worried about rain tomorrow that they can not enjoy the sunshine today. Could apply here.

If you have had no problems with the engine. Use and maintain it.

Senseless to go looking for worrying about problems when you do not have one.
X2 on this. I run 4 compact diesels (88,92,15 Kubotas and 00 JD). They have between 750 and 2500 hrs. All get an oil change and filter at 50 hrs (probably overkill) religiously. All run perfectly with no oil usage and never had any engine work I know of (all bought used). I feel oil and filter is the cheapest preventative maintenance for any engine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back