Gooseneck Trailer Choices

Bigger is better but buyer beware. When you go over 10K on a trailer you move up in requirements - specifically you are entering CDL territory. Doesn't matter what tag or how much you have on the trailer if it has a weight rating exceeding 10,000 pounds the licensing changes. If you have farm tags and your state allows for it you have a lot of wiggle room in options. If you don't have farm tags you may find yourself subject to all kinds of rules you were not expecting.

I hear so much that is just flat BS that I don't believe most of what I hear on this subject anywhere I go. Then I don't have only a couple trailers and both are semis so I just go and don't worry about the load nor trailer weight. as long as it is not over the limit for the 80,000 I'm good. I can permit for weight if oversized when I load if needed. With my hydraulic detach I load it most with less net load weight and no climbing to get chains hooked and all.

(quoted from post at 12:59:46 01/23/23) Bigger is better but buyer beware. When you go over 10K on a trailer you move up in requirements - specifically you are entering CDL territory. Doesn't matter what tag or how much you have on the trailer if it has a weight rating exceeding 10,000 pounds the licensing changes.

This is a common misconception. It does not matter if the trailer is over 10K as long as the COMBINATION stays under 26K. In my case, truck is 9.2K GVW. Trailer is 14K GVW. Equals 23.2K GCVW. Under the 26K GCVW threshold. If what you said was true, every 3/4T truck and a gooseneck trailer on the road would need a CDL.

(quoted from post at 11:59:46 01/23/23) Bigger is better but buyer beware. When you go over 10K on a trailer you move up in requirements - specifically you are entering CDL territory. Doesn't matter what tag or how much you have on the trailer if it has a weight rating exceeding 10,000 pounds the licensing changes. If you have farm tags and your state allows for it you have a lot of wiggle room in options. If you don't have farm tags you may find yourself subject to all kinds of rules you were not expecting.

The over 10k trailer rule only applies IF the combined gross rating is over 26k
If you have a 1 ton single wheel truck with a rating of 11k hooked to a 14k rated trailer that combined gross is only 25k and no CDL is need
That same trailer hooked to a 1 ton dually with 13k rating put you at 27k and in CDL territory
If you have a 3/4 ton rated at 9k you can pull a 16k trailer with no issues

Boy soxbill you sure covered it all. Being in the equipment bussiness I have owned many goosenecks. Most were built in around east Texas some good ones and some not so good. Man really needs to pay attention to what he wants. I got to looking around for a trailer to use here on the farm after I retired. I went with 25,000 hydraulic fold 32 ft. Three boxes and the heavy tires as you mentioned. Trailer is made in Indiana called Sure-Trac and so far it is head and shoulders above the Big tex and PJ we have at the dealership. Now granted it did cost a little more. I have learned right quick to look at google earth before I leave to make sure I can get in and then as you say one still has to watch the tail and not high hang it. still have my CDLs so was not concerned with weight. Can pull it with heavy 250 ford diesel or jack the hitch up and pull with 2 ton 4900 ih if needed . so So far this is about my perfect trailer.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back