Harry Ferguson plow color

I was given a Harry Ferguson plow, model 12-AO-28, serial number 31641, that I have fully disassembled to give it a fresh coat of paint. Now that Im getting the rust off Im seeing that it was painted red. I was under the impression these came in grey only but Ive yet to see any trace of grey.
Id like to paint it in its original color. Is it possible this came new painted red?
cvphoto165424.jpg

Ford made some plows for Ferguson, to Harry's specs, in the early years of the handshake agreement. These had the Ford script cast in, and were gray like the rest of the implements. After the 1947 split, Dearborn plows were red and Ferguson plows remained gray. Harry designed but never built any plows. They were always contracted out to someone else for production. Henry Ford II and Harry Ferguson hated one another so no way would Ferguson have supplied anything to Dearborn. I have heard that when the split happened, some dealers who stayed with Ford-Dearborn still had unsold Ferguson implements so they painted them red to match the new Dearborn line. I would think there'd be a trace of gray paint under the red in that case.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back