Help with1948 8n throttle low is half way on the divits. And?

Asheron

New User
When I put it in 1st gear and start letting the clutch out it starts to die unless I push the peddle down again. 2nd and 3 are fine doesn't bog down or anything.the throttle rod looks bent by man not clean. At recommended settings it starts easily but ramping it to full it go up roughly then balances out.

Not sure what your saying here.. .but it does sound like you have a worn out shifter, not fully getting the first gear set correctly or a broken damaged tooth on the first gear set..... It would require a check to see what is happening. And when you rev up the engine, it coughs and sputters till if finally smooths out. Which means the main jet might be a bit lean due to it being partially clogged or set incorrectly.. good luck either way. A good tuneup with American points that dont corrode quickly..... would be the first thing I did. Most tuneup kits come with china points that go bad in six weeks with out being clean.. And pulling the dist on an 8n is almost impossible, so you dont what cheap points in the distributor.

Asheron, this isn't necessarily the wrong forum, but the one just below this for the N series Ford tractors. Like sotxbill said, it does sound like something isn't right with your transmission.

I'm talking about a 1948 8n that is a n series isn't it?
Yes... it is one of the N series... ie the (1939) 9n, (1942 war tractors)2n, and then the (1948) 8n tractors. Can you explain the throttle /divits? I suspect your talking about the friction divits that hold the throttle lever in place on the dash?? Most of the time the lower half of the divits are worn off the plate and no longer hold the throttle position below half throttle... You can replace that plate to fix the problem. Or weld and grind in new divits in the plate....if your very good and have patience. ( not me). Not uncommon when the governor jerks the throttle to full, for it to cough and sputter for a second... More so when cold... A very good tune up and correct main jet setting can help this some.

Yes... it is one of the N series... ie the (1939) 9n, (1942 war tractors)2n, and then the (1948) 8n tractors. Can you explain the throttle /divits? I suspect your talking about the friction divits that hold the throttle lever in place on the dash?? Most of the time the lower half of the divits are worn off the plate and no longer hold the throttle position below half throttle... You can replace that plate to fix the problem. Or weld and grind in new divits in the plate....if your very good and have patience. ( not me). Not uncommon when the governor jerks the throttle to full, for it to cough and sputter for a second... More so when cold... A very good tune up and correct main jet setting can help this some.
I got it better and fixed the linkage who ever worked on it b4 didn't adjust them to snugly and idol so after releasing the nuts I managed to put the throttle on idol with the governor are back all the way. But the carb is giving me trouble from the factory settings I have to back out the main needle alittle over 5 turns and the air I can tell if it's right because it doesn't seem to make any difference

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back