Holley carb model

mikewood869

Anyone know what model Holley carb would have came on a 1966 Ford 3000. I put that carb on a Ford 4500 4 years back. I ended up getting bad fuel in the tank, I think I’m going to need to crack it in half possibly (tractor ran with half choke in any rpm crappy)

Ford 4500 running crappy

Well a 3000 carb is not correct for a 4500, and at best it would run weak, but more likely needing some choke all of the time and still run "crappy" as you described. the displacement on a 4000/4500 is greater than on a 3000, and so it sucks in more air on each intake cycle than the 3000, and it is only getting the amount of fuel that a 3000 is supposed to get, so it is running too lean, and while the choke helps with that a little, it is not enough for it to run well. If it is a pre-4/1/68 4500, then the displacement is only 192 ci vs. the 158 ci of the 3000, which is 21% more air being sucked in, and if it is a newer 4500 with the 201 gasser, then that difference grows to 27%. The 3000 carb is not designed to deliver that much more fuel when that much more air is being sucked in. I believe that the carb bodies themselves are the same, so if you could find the proper accelerator pump and main jet for a 192 or 201 ci engine then that might solve your problem.

To answer your original question, the part number for the Holley carb used in a 3000 was C5NN9510M, but that was a Ford part number, not the Holley model number. If it was me, I would be looking for a carb that is sized properly for that engine. The part number for the Holley carb on the earlier 192 ci 4000/4500 engine was C5NN9510N and for the later 201 it was C9NN9510C.

Anyone know what model Holley carb would have came on a 1966 Ford 3000. I put that carb on a Ford 4500 4 years back. I ended up getting bad fuel in the tank, I think I’m going to need to crack it in half possibly (tractor ran with half choke in any rpm crappy)

Ford 4500 running crappy
More than likely the main jet has a restriction. When you take the bowl off the gasket stays with the top air horn the gasket is trapped by the metering body. If you are carefull you may get it apart without tearing the gasket if not you will need to make a gasket are buy a kit to get the gasket. I wish I could get just the gasket cuzz that's about all I ever need. I don't know the jet size for either I need to start checking them.

To make a gasket you will need some amo : ) a few empty shell chasing of 5.56, 22mag and 17HMR will get'er done.

At the second, I think I got lucky (knock on wood), I Mickey moused the fuel system last night to get it into the shed (finally got it in at midnight) and I fixed that today. I think the float got stuck again. I ended up pulling the carb drain plug again and jingled the float around. I got it to run like in the video again, then I taped the carb and it started to clear up. I got some marvel mystery oil it in right now. The tractor itself is a 1970 4400 201 ci with all the 4500 crap swap over (backhoe and loader was from a 4x4 transmission diesel 1966 or 1967). I swapped carbs since the 3000 carb uses les fuel compared to the zenith that was on it before. The backhoe has cleared 40 acres and went through 100 gls of gas each week when I was going hard. Power doesn’t seem to be an issue. It pulls the hills same as the other zenith carb and lugs better. The Ford lugs better than a Deere. If it still runs good in a hour, I’ll probably toss it back together.

Ford 4500 running again
Last night:
IMG_6678.jpeg

Your valves need set, you have some that are loose. Not an immediate connection to how it runs just a required maintenance item for the best longevity of your engine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back