How many people still fill a grease gun by hand, from a 5 gal pail? Pushing grease to the bottom of the gun with a flat piece of wood. Stan

I've done it until recently in one of my grease guns. How else should I get that bucket of grease that my father bought used up? Don't want anything to go to waste, you know. I used a big knife to do it with.

I ordered
I tried that once or twice. Not for me at all. Tubes are cheap enough, and unless you’re greasing 25 pieces of equipment they are more economical when u figure in your time. Packing grease into a grease gun ? How often doesn’t it work because of air pockets? I put 3 or 4 tubes of grease into the equipment I run every other day at work. Around the farm grease every so often as needed. I guess if the grease in bulk was free that might be an option. For me tubes only !

I still have 2 gallons in the last 5 gallon pail grandpa had for doing this... I use it to grease the plow with a brush anymore though, so it has lasted me a long time.

I still have the pump and lid for a five gallon pail. Its the one my dad used when I was a kid. Have not used it in years. All tubes now which I think is easier and less trouble with air pockets.

Attachments

• 50 Esso grease.jpg
    50 Esso grease.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 21
I find the red pump like Fritz posted a picture of is very much like what we use for the bulk grease. No mess to that till you need to change cans. I just paddle it out with a wide spatula Like your wife uses and not to bad that way. I also use some of it up as fifth wheel grease to finish emptying the cans. We get the 120 LBS cans or about 15 gallon cans. Will last a couple years or so. Longer with the mix of tube grease in filed use on things away from the main place. We used to fill guns by hand in the 60's dad always had a problem with air in the gun that way so he bought the pump and with the fitting on the head for the pump there is no mess unless you don't hold the gun in the fill line while trying to fill it. Then it is only as much as you pump out. Biggest mess if the transfer to the next can with the pump since you need to pull the follower plate and put in new can. After the new can is down about half way I usually clean out the old one into the new can. Also use it on fithwheel or save some for greasing bolt threads. if I'm out of old wheel bearing grease.

My dad switched to tubes back when I was just a kid. He had a fairly big earthmoving business in addition to the farm so we went through a LOT of grease. I'm sure the mess of filling grease guns was part of the reason, but it was also a PITA when your gun went dry and the grease bucket was thirty miles away.

Military in the 80's was the last time I filled a grease gun from bulk. Pulled the plunger back as you shoved the barrel into the grease. Haven't used that method since.

I know very few that use bulk grease today but wish someone did so I could donate them some grease
I have some 15 gallon drums and 55 gallon barrels of grease I would gladly give to anyone that wants it

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back