How old of a bull can be fixed

Our Phone System is Down!

Please use the Contact us Form

We are working to resolve the issue ASAP! Thanks for your patience!

jon f mn

I bought a small bull calf last fall that I was going to band. But I put him in the pen and forgot about banding him. He's a belted Galloway, so a small breed, but he must be 7-800lbs now. So near full grown. Can he still be cut? Can he be banded? Altho I doubt I could get a band on him.

He could still be cut easily enough. Banding would depend on the size of the testicles vs the band size. If you are concerned about getting a band on him just have him cut.

I bought a small bull calf last fall that I was going to band. But I put him in the pen and forgot about banding him. He's a belted Galloway, so a small breed, but he must be 7-800lbs now. So near full grown. Can he still be cut? Can he be banded? Altho I doubt I could get a band on him.
We had a bull about that size once. We had the vet come out and crimp him.

Could be a candidate for Burdezos (spelling?) too....

I believe it can be done, I'd call a vet to do it though. I worked for a neighbor who waited till his calves were yearlings to casterate them, what a job, I thought it was hard on the calves, the last few we hauled to the clinic and had it done there.

There is no size limit. Banding is still easy with the right bands, but I doubt the cheerio bands will fit. There are plenty of larger banders out there, cheapest being the California bander. They run about $50 for the handle and some bands. I used to band all of my bull calves at 600 lbs or so. Personally, I like to cut a slit in the sack for drainage, it cut the fall off time in half, but not everyone likes to. Your local feed store may even have a bander or clamp available to loan/rent. Might be worth checking.

Clamping and cutting are fine too if you know someone that can do it for you.
No matter what, he needs to be vacinated for tetanus ahead of time.

Calibrate bander is perfect for that bull plus a tetanus shot. I’ve banded hundreds of them that size with no problems. Your vet may have one you can borrow.

I had a 600/700 pound bull that was cut. I asked the female vet that came to the farm to do the job if the bull was too big. With a twinkle in her eye and a slight smirk she looked at me and said she had never seen a set of balls that were too big to cut
My kinda sense of humor.

No problem, I had no issues cutting bulls that size. But then I have experience of cutting thousands of bull calves & pigs in my life. Oh and one cat. The cat was my first subject. He lived a long life in the barn when I was a kid.

I have a large bander and have done several close to the size you have. Got it from this place.

Attachments

• 20240202_052223.jpg
    20240202_052223.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 28
When I was teaching, there was a senior boy who worked part time for a cattle framer and he would castrate and dehorn large bulls that the owner of the farm bought at the sale barn, These animals may weigh 1500 +- . This boy was tough and now run a national-w`ide truck salvage1 yard. He was just a bit below average student and is now a multi-millionare

2nd the vet can cut. We used to do them all that way actually when I was a kid at weaning time there was a vet around that liked to do it that way for some reason he’s a little hair bigger but no matter. Just don’t keep that one to eat yourself if you want the tender meat but even then it should be fine

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back