Hyd front pump drive plate

captdon

New User
I purchased a front pump drive plate for a Massey Ferguson three bolt pattern and cannot find the proper bolts to attach it to the front engine pulley , the pulley threads are 3/8 and the drive plate holes are closer to 7/16
Has anyone had the same issue before

I purchased a front pump drive plate for a Massey Ferguson three bolt pattern and cannot find the proper bolts to attach it to the front engine pulley , the pulley threads are 3/8 and the drive plate holes are closer to 7/16
The plate should have rubber bushings in the mounting holes. Did they come with your new plate?

Dan

The plate should have rubber bushings in the mounting holes. Did they come with your new plate?

Dan
Yes it has the rubber bushing and insert but a 3/8 bolt slops around inside the insert , being a mechanic all my life I can’t imagine how it would be centered on the pulley with bolts that don’t fit the holes , I’m thinking like most everything else these parts are made in china and the bushings are metric

Yes it has the rubber bushing and insert but a 3/8 bolt slops around inside the insert , being a mechanic all my life I can’t imagine how it would be centered on the pulley with bolts that don’t fit the holes , I’m thinking like most everything else these parts are made in china and the bushings are metric
Possibly. I have had problems with the pulleys used on N series. Historically they were threaded 1/4-20 but they morphed into 1/4-28. That went on forp years then one day they morphed into M6.

Any chance you got the flange for a different application? What size bolt fits the holes? If its M10 I would be inclinwd to drill and tap the pulley to match.

Dan

Possibly. I have had problems with the pulleys used on N series. Historically they were threaded 1/4-20 but they morphed into 1/4-28. That went on forp years then one day they morphed into M6.

Any chance you got the flange for a different application? What size bolt fits the holes? If its M10 I would be inclinwd to drill and tap the pulley to match.

The drive plate and shaft with left hand thread was ordered for a 230 Massey Ferguson , furthermore the shaft was 1inch diameter and the pivot pin hole is 1inch diameter so the shaft wouldn’t fit through the pin hole , I turned it down on my lathe enough for clearance to fit through the pin hole , with that problem solved I had to face off the front and back of the drive plate to allow enough clearance between the pulley and axle cradle so the drive plate would fit ..it still appears that I’m going to have to split the cradle from the engine to mount the drive plate .. I wasn’t anticipating this much work to get a front pump installed .. I’m currently using a prince pto pump but I need access to my pto for a post hole digger .. the tractor is a 1979 230 and I’m starting to think it wasn’t ever designed for a front pump but I’ll keep plugging at it until I can figure out a solution to the problem , thanks

POSSIBLY you could find (or make, if you have access to a lathe) ''shoulder screws".

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/shoulder-bolts/

ONE source of "shoulder screws".

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back