I have a 545D 4w with a front axle problem. Gears binding when in 4wd.

McAnde

New User
This unit binds up when in 4wd. Caught the left front skidding while testing in 4wd. Did not in 2wd. Jacked it up and it binds in in 4 wheel also however usually not as abruptly. Does not in 2wd . Tried turning the driveshaft with the 4wd disengaged and the front end binded again. I found some metal shavings on the left side magnet/oil plug so tried pulling the left hub. 2 of the wheel studs appear to have shoulders that seem to hold the plate on that goes over the studs. Double nutted the studs but could not get them to budge. And of course couldn't get the plate off.
Main question is is the problem gear likely to be at the hub or the differential?

Attachments

• 20240215_120000.jpg
    20240215_120000.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Sorry the pic posted shows w/the wheel on so not very informative about the studs w/ shoulders.

Is there any oil in the planetaries? They don’t hold much and a leak can go unnoticed.
If they are dry, you have a chance for recovery, just fill them up and see what happens. But if oil is present then the damage is already done, now you’ll have to figure out how to get it apart.

Is there any oil in the planetaries? They don’t hold much and a leak can go unnoticed.
If they are dry, you have a chance for recovery, just fill them up and see what happens. But if oil is present then the damage is already done, now you’ll have to figure out how to get it apart.
The actual problem looks to be in the differential spider Assembly. However I still haven't been able to get in to the planetaries. There was good oil in them though. I can't tell if 2 of the studs have shoulders holding the plate on or they are just a super tight fit and corroded.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back