If you had to choose one Oliver Super 55 , Farmall Super A, Nuffield 4/65

Yes . That is why I am considering the Farmall . Even though I really want the Oliver . I could fix most anything on the Farmall myself . It is the cheapest to buy and service . Good shape too . And it would fit in my carport . No backhoe but it's not a deal breaker . I saw a guy skidding a good size building with one which led me to believe it could drag a good size log . Comes with a plow too which I need .
If not needing a backhoe then that opens things up immensely. I understand the desire to keep the investment down but for pulling logs in what would be around here adverse conditions from time to time I would want a tractor with mechanical front wheel drive or at the least differential lock (makes both rear wheels drive but you have to go in a straight line with your pull). I guess if the A does not pan out for its intended use then you could look at something else.

I'm homing in on the perfect machine for medium duty work on my land . Deciding is harder than I thought . Oliver Super 55 with trailer loader and hoe, Farmall Super A with loader and a bunch of farm attachments , Nuffield 4/65 with IH loader and Massey Hoe . Great prices on all of these . What do you think ? I mainly want to retrieve logs from the woods for my stove and clear snow . Little earthwork too .
Know nothing about the Nuffield, but comparing the Oliver to the Farmall A is like comparing the Kansas City Chiefs to the Toledo Rockets. I have an A and can't envision the loader much better than a wheel barrow. If the Oliver isn't clapped out and is power steering, then yes. For what you are describing for work I would be looking at a midsize diesel compact with a hydostatic trans. Personally, I wouldn't consider a loader without power steering and would stay away from the A even if all I was doing was mowing.
IMG_0045.JPG

I'm homing in on the perfect machine for medium duty work on my land . Deciding is harder than I thought . Oliver Super 55 with trailer loader and hoe, Farmall Super A with loader and a bunch of farm attachments , Nuffield 4/65 with IH loader and Massey Hoe . Great prices on all of these . What do you think ? I mainly want to retrieve logs from the woods for my stove and clear snow . Little earthwork too .
I have 10 As and Bs but logging go for the OLIVER parts mite be a problem but with the internet theres great help

Here is the Super 55. Looks like a rugged subframe for the loader and backhoe . I think they are original equipment .

Attachments

• 1666DEF3-58D4-4B24-98FE-A1BF36F957F1.jpeg
    1666DEF3-58D4-4B24-98FE-A1BF36F957F1.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Yes . That is why I am considering the Farmall . Even though I really want the Oliver . I could fix most anything on the Farmall myself . It is the cheapest to buy and service . Good shape too . And it would fit in my carport . No backhoe but it's not a deal breaker . I saw a guy skidding a good size building with one which led me to believe it could drag a good size log . Comes with a plow too which I need .
It does sound like the Farmall would be the best fit for you, if you are limited to those three tractors. I never said that the Farmall CAN'T, I just said it's not a handy woods tractor from personal experience. Pound for pound they can pull as well or better than any other tractor in that weight range. It's the on-and-off, lack of power steering with a loader, and relatively narrow stance (if you're going to be working on hills).

No brainer here...Oliver, but if a hoe is a backhoe the woods will be a problem. Comparable IH would be a 300/350 and not a SA. A comment regarding the old tractors not being reliable as mentioned below. Just not true. Problems here and there certainly but if it is good running when you buy it and has good compression and doesn't drip too, too much...they all drip...it will give you a lot of bang for your buck. One qualifier though...do not store it outdoors. I have 11 tractors ( I think) and only one is new. Break a strut now and then or lose a tire or some small part fails. Only major repair so far was one that I parked outside for a year due to lack of room. Some of these I have been working over 20 years. They go downhill fast left out in the weather.

Looks like I'm going to get a Ford 2N in really nice condition . Kept indoors , super clean . New tires . Smooth runner . Only $1500 . The other sellers were flaky to say the least . For my intended use this one feels right .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back