INFO & PIX NEEDED - 801

Tim PloughNman Daley RIP

I need some good pictures of a FORD 801 Tractor as the OEM setup showing the water pump, belts, generator & pulley, power steering unit & pulley, and crankshaft pulley and belt. I know standard setup was 6V/POS GRN but were only the diesels made as 12V or was there a gas option for 12V? Working on an 801 for a guy that needs power steering unit R&R'd, and I&T F0-20 Manual doesn't have what I want. So the same steering unit was not used on all models with Power Steering, correct? Industrial, Row Crop, Thousands after '64 - all different? I'm learning about "Power Assist" but not much clear thus far.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• I & T FO-20 MANUAL - PG 27.jpeg
    I & T FO-20 MANUAL - PG 27.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
Tim, Sorry I don't have any photos. The power steering systems for the 801 series were all basically the same, but they used two different pumps at different times. The row crop systems were different from the ag chassis models, but that shouldn't concern you if you are working on an 801. Also, you are correct that all gas '01 models came from the factory as 6 volt positive ground, and the diesels came with 12 volt systems, which I believe were negative ground from the factory. Here is a link to the parts drawing for the 801 series front axle, power steering and related parts. That might help with figuring out the belt routing. I am pretty sue that the ones with power steering had a double pulley on the crankshaft, with the one closest to the engine being used for the generator, and the one closer to the radiator being used for the power steering pump.

Link to parts drawing for front axle and power steering for 801

Tim, Sorry I don't have any photos. The power steering systems for the 801 series were all basically the same, but they used two different pumps at different times. The row crop systems were different from the ag chassis models, but that shouldn't concern you if you are working on an 801. Also, you are correct that all gas '01 models came from the factory as 6 volt positive ground, and the diesels came with 12 volt systems, which I believe were negative ground from the factory. Here is a link to the parts drawing for the 801 series front axle, power steering and related parts. That might help with figuring out the belt routing. I am pretty sue that the ones with power steering had a double pulley on the crankshaft, with the one closest to the engine being used for the generator, and the one closer to the radiator being used for the power steering pump.

That helps but I can't copy and paste the image to print. It wants to add to my list. Not looking to buy. Any advice? So there are 2 belts? One goes on Water Pump Pulley to GEN Pulley to Crank Pulley. Only pic is from manual with belt slack setting but nothing Power Steering system.

Yes,12V NEG GRN and FORD used a 12V GENERATOR and the VOLTAGE ReGULATOR with it. The ALT wasn't used til early1960's yet; Dodge I think was the first.

Attachments

• FORD 601 - 801 FAN BELT.jpeg
    FORD 601 - 801 FAN BELT.jpeg
    782 KB · Views: 18
That helps but I can't copy and paste the image to print. It wants to add to my list. Not looking to buy. Any advice? So there are 2 belts? One goes on Water Pump Pulley to GEN Pulley to Crank Pulley. Only pic is from manual with belt slack setting but nothing Power Steering system.

Yes,12V NEG GRN and FORD used a 12V GENERATOR and the VOLTAGE ReGULATOR with it. The ALT wasn't used til early1960's yet; Dodge I think was the first.
Using the online parts book, a quick check of part numbers for front pulleys shows only single groove pulleys in the engine drawings. The pulley shown in the power steering parts page, which Sean gave you the link to, using the part number in a search leads you to a double groove, so power steering uses the two groove pulley. Generator and water pump belt uses one groove and power steering belt uses the second groove.

You might want to pick up one of the OEM service manuals to go with your I&T manual.

801 service manual.JPG

editted to correct wording.

Last edited:
Using the online parts book, a quick check of part numbers for front pulleys shows only single groove pulleys in the engine drawings. The pulley shown in the power steering parts page, which Sean gave you the link to, using the part number in a search leads you to a double groove, so power steering uses the two groove pulley. Generator and water pump belt uses one groove and power steering belt uses the second groove.

You might want to pick up one of the OEM service manuals to go with your I&T manual.

View attachment 62858

editted to correct wording.

Yep,have one. That is a NH item, not FORD OEM manual really but has some OEM stuff in it. ..

I've assumed there was a power steering belt and another pulley; has to be. Thanks

TPD

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back