International 454

Helping a neighbor. We are draining and flushing the transmission on his tractor. Lubrication guide on page 92 shows I think three drain plugs. 19, 20, and
23. 23 is located at the rear of the tractor under the draw bar. There is no information about what 23 drains. What does it do and is it another drain plug
for the transmission? Thanks, Ellis

I believe they are all draining the trans fluid. from 3 common chambers, but with separate sumps. This is to provide internal structure for shafts/bearings/gears, and limits catistrophic failur from being total destruction. Jim

That last plug I always move the drawbar to one side and drain it. There are 3. I would change the oil again SOON because that diesel fuel would not have completely drained and been up in the hydraulics and power steering, so the new oil is contaminated with fuel. Mark.

You'd have been better off to put hyd. oil back in, run that for a few hours & change it. No way i'd put diesel in mine.

It has been draining all night, I'll put new hydraulic fluid/transmission fluid in it later this morning. I flushed with diesel because that is what people recommend for an M Farmall. After draining all night do you still think contamination will be a problem? Thanks, Ellis

I wouldn't worry about the tiny bit of contamination. It is diluted to such a small percentage, it will not have any effect.

Yes because you started and drove it. The transmission fluid is also the hydraulic fluid, engages the pto, the power steering, and it has circulated all thru the entire system. It would be in the power steering cylinder for example. I would now fill it with fluid, run it awhile and get it warmed up to operating temp, and drain it and replace the filter again. I do not believe it hurt anything, but this will flush it again. On your M it would only have been in the transmission. Good luck, Mark.

The tractor is not an M Farmall, the only thing IH says to use in there is IH Hi Tran. Someone let that oil stay in there years too long, which is why it's so gunked up. Make sure you are changing the filter too.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back