international harvester B250 1958

Canada B250

New User
My brother owns a 1958 International Harvester McCormick B250, bought in Canada.
We need to change the cylinder head gasket. I was told to change the cylinder head bolts/studs at the same time.
Is this common practice? Where can I find the part numbers using the serial number?
Thanks

Hello CNB250, welcome to YT! The current owner of the majority of the McCormick/International name rights which is Fiat/CNHI/CaseIH does not maintain an online parts resource for most of the machines under the McCormick name. So if this was an International or Farmall they do have them in those models. So outside of just calling or accessing online vendors and giving them the info you do not have any other options other then acquiring a parts manual either in PDF form or a hard copy. Just do a web search and multiple sources will show up. As far as the studs or bolts I am not familiar with those engines. In general old IH stuff did not require replacement of the studs or bolts. As long as they are not rusty to the point of pitting they should be fine. Buff the threads with a wire wheel and run a tap into the threads in the block. After installing the head most importantly the best thing to do is to start the tractor and warm it up good. Then retorque the head bolts in sequence by backing them off slightly first then torque them. Lastly, if you have more questions about this project I would suggest posting on the YT IH and Farmall forum under the Manufacturers section. More viewing traffic there and folks that are possibly more knowledgeable about your tractor may reply. Here is a link to the YT part section for that tractor.
YT B250 parts

Hello CNB250, welcome to YT! The current owner of the majority of the McCormick/International name rights which is Fiat/CNHI/CaseIH does not maintain an online parts resource for most of the machines under the McCormick name. So if this was an International or Farmall they do have them in those models. So outside of just calling or accessing online vendors and giving them the info you do not have any other options other then acquiring a parts manual either in PDF form or a hard copy. Just do a web search and multiple sources will show up. As far as the studs or bolts I am not familiar with those engines. In general old IH stuff did not require replacement of the studs or bolts. As long as they are not rusty to the point of pitting they should be fine. Buff the threads with a wire wheel and run a tap into the threads in the block. After installing the head most importantly the best thing to do is to start the tractor and warm it up good. Then retorque the head bolts in sequence by backing them off slightly first then torque them. Lastly, if you have more questions about this project I would suggest posting on the YT IH and Farmall forum under the Manufacturers section. More viewing traffic there and folks that are possibly more knowledgeable about your tractor may reply. Here is a link to the YT part section for that tractor.
YT B250 parts
Thank you

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back