Iron Scinter Clutch Replacement Query.

I am up to replacing my clutch on my 1964 4140 HD Industrial which apparently has an original or OEM iron scinter clutch assembly. It is the standard 10" with 15 spline and 1" hub, which is a standard size. The HDs originally came with iron scinter pressure plate and disc. The one I have now is worn and since it is such a pain to split an HD engine, I want to be proactive and replace it now. However, iron scinter clutches in this size are no longer made, but they are made for larger size tractors. Here are my questions. Firstly, since there is plenty of metal left on the pressure plate, can I replace the disc with a modern woven organic compound pads while retaining the iron scinter pressure plate, or are they non compatible requiring me to replace the entire assembly. Also, the existing iron scinter disc still has about 3 mm left on the pads, with the wear not yet approaching any of the pad rivets. Should I perhaps just re-install the clutch as is? And finally, should I think seriously about having a ceramic disc and pressure plate made up? I have no experience in being able to tell the difference in wear and use of iron scinter clutch versus the currently available organic compounds. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated as always. Larry.

Attachments

• clutch2.JPG
    clutch2.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 25
  • clutch1.JPG
    clutch1.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 22
I am up to replacing my clutch on my 1964 4140 HD Industrial which apparently has an original or OEM iron scinter clutch assembly. It is the standard 10" with 15 spline and 1" hub, which is a standard size. The HDs originally came with iron scinter pressure plate and disc. The one I have now is worn and since it is such a pain to split an HD engine, I want to be proactive and replace it now. However, iron scinter clutches in this size are no longer made, but they are made for larger size tractors. Here are my questions. Firstly, since there is plenty of metal left on the pressure plate, can I replace the disc with a modern woven organic compound pads while retaining the iron scinter pressure plate, or are they non compatible requiring me to replace the entire assembly. Also, the existing iron scinter disc still has about 3 mm left on the pads, with the wear not yet approaching any of the pad rivets. Should I perhaps just re-install the clutch as is? And finally, should I think seriously about having a ceramic disc and pressure plate made up? I have no experience in being able to tell the difference in wear and use of iron scinter clutch versus the currently available organic compounds. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated as always. Larry.
If the original clutch disc appears to have a lot of life yet, I'd reuse it myself. Organic (rag) clutches do not hold up well to abusive loader work.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back