TO35 pto clutch or clutch shaft?

joekubota

New User
My TO35 is split at the trans/engine break. The secondary PTO clutch seemed as if it would no longer adjust.. grinding noises, adjusted per manual. When I took it apart last week before ordering clutch kit (pressure plate, bearings, clutch disc etc) I noticed side to side play in the tansmission main drive gear (clutch shaft) Fig. MF352 paragraph 179 IT shop service manual. That is, I noticed that the shaft furthest towards front of machine had side to side play, measured to be between 1/16 and 5/64. To my not experienced eyes, I thought the primary clutch disc in pretty good shape. I haven't taken the assembly apart to examine the PTO cluch. Also, I noticed considerable wear on the three release levels. Also, the throw out bearing certainly does need replacement. Those two last items are likely related but my question: how much play is acceptable, how much is going to lead to a quick disaster, in the shaft described above, which much as I can tell from manual's exploded view MF357 item#52, is the PTO front maindrive shaft, but very surely the shaft that the pilot bearing supports? And of course: has my tractor gotten to the point where the issue isn't the clutches but far worse: "transmission shaft bearings are non-adjustable". (caption to fig. MF351)... suggestions very much welcome... thanks joek

My TO35 is split at the trans/engine break. The secondary PTO clutch seemed as if it would no longer adjust.. grinding noises, adjusted per manual. When I took it apart last week before ordering clutch kit (pressure plate, bearings, clutch disc etc) I noticed side to side play in the tansmission main drive gear (clutch shaft) Fig. MF352 paragraph 179 IT shop service manual. That is, I noticed that the shaft furthest towards front of machine had side to side play, measured to be between 1/16 and 5/64. To my not experienced eyes, I thought the primary clutch disc in pretty good shape. I haven't taken the assembly apart to examine the PTO cluch. Also, I noticed considerable wear on the three release levels. Also, the throw out bearing certainly does need replacement. Those two last items are likely related but my question: how much play is acceptable, how much is going to lead to a quick disaster, in the shaft described above, which much as I can tell from manual's exploded view MF357 item#52, is the PTO front maindrive shaft, but very surely the shaft that the pilot bearing supports? And of course: has my tractor gotten to the point where the issue isn't the clutches but far worse: "transmission shaft bearings are non-adjustable". (caption to fig. MF351)... suggestions very much welcome... thanks joek
Use the "Contact Us" button and ask a moderator to move this to the Harry Ferguson forum for you.

Good day joekubota
If you place this post in the Ferguson Forum...you shall receive some extremely valuable information,as well as pics ...
And welcome to "YT"....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back