ISO a 226 starter

Some starter drive gears have a clutching mechanism which locks in the engaged position when the starter is energized. They don't
retract until the engine fires and kicks the gear back.

Teddy, that is awesome, thank you. The $64,000 question would be is it the same as the one that was on my starter which appears to be new and judging by the shadow line on the shaft where the original once was, it is incorrect. It is 1/2" too short and only engages the gear by 1/4". I have no idea how to send you a mail and have had no luck figuring out how to do it. Help!!
mvphoto105371.jpg

It's a match! I'll bet that the bolt holes are on the center axis of the nose and 5" center to center.

How does one access the private mail function here?

I measured 4-1/8 center of hole to center
of hole, directly across using gage pins
and dial calipers. The other snag is
while looking at this, it appears to only
have 9 teeth. I should've marked and
counted them a second time yesterday.

That shadow line is from where it rides in the bushing. We compared the drive we have
with your picture & they look the same. Do you have a machine shop that could cut a
new key slot closer to the end? I think we do here. Then it would move the drive to
the end when it is extended & should clear the ring gear when retracted. My mail is
open on classic.

another thing to check is to see if that drive goes all the way out to the end of the housing when you kick it in. If it does, then it is the wrong starter for the application.

(quoted from post at 11:23:40 05/07/23) That shadow line is from where it rides in the bushing. We compared the drive we have
with your picture & they look the same. Do you have a machine shop that could cut a
new key slot closer to the end? I think we do here. Then it would move the drive to
the end when it is extended & should clear the ring gear when retracted. My mail is
open on classic.
That definitely sounds like a plan, we do have a very accommodating machine shop a half hour away.
Just went out and looked at the drive again and perhaps it is faulty; it only has 1/4" "throw" from the rest position to full out leaving 1/2" of shaft between it and the nose. I need to make a trip down to the gravel pit this afternoon and measure the exact distance in to the ring gear.
PS. When I hit the send PM all I get is a blank page.

Jim

(quoted from post at 13:11:11 05/07/23) another thing to check is to see if that drive goes all the way out to the end of the housing when you kick it in. If it does, then it is the wrong starter for the application.
Went down and measured in to the ring gear. Final result is that this has to be the correct drive in that in the rest position it will just nicely clear the ring gear. So either this drive, with only a 1/4" of "throw" is somewhat faulty or the design engineers had a bad day in only having the gears mesh by 1/4".

I am getting nowhere with sending you a mail through this site, perhaps you could shoot me an email that I can reply to. My address is jaoneill at cwaugustineinc dot com.

I did the copy & paste & when I sent it, it said an error occured? I don't know what
is going on. Go on classic & try me again. [email protected] That gear should
move more than that. How does the ring gear look?

(quoted from post at 20:06:59 05/07/23) I did the copy & paste & when I sent it, it said an error occured? I don't know what
is going on. Go on classic & try me again. [email protected] That gear should
move more than that. How does the ring gear look?

Email sent..... If you didn't get it check your spam; some providers don't appreciate my address.

Glad to hear it. Amazing how the USPS works; it normally takes 4-5 days to get a letter delivered three towns over but not much more to go halfway across the Country.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back