It's good to be da king

rrlund

Ain't that what Mel Brooks said in a movie?

cvphoto159793.jpg

Our tractor show was this past weekend. We've had a queen contest all along. We nominate five women and whoever raises the most money for the kids activities is crowned queen. This year, the president of the club, who's a woman, said we need to have a king contest. There were a lot of protests and somebody said they'd pay not to have to be the king. One of the board members said ''OK then, how about if we do this, whoever raises the least money is the king?''. Well, I was the first one nominated, along with three others who'd accept the nomination, and I raised the least, so I got stuck with it. It was all good natured fun though and I had a great time.

Psimmer made it down to the show, and Angry Bob King came all the way from Minnesota again. I sure hope Bob had as much fun being here as we had having him here again. He used one of my tractors to play all of the tractor games and drove the 600 in the parade. It was great finally meeting you too Paul. I hope you'll come down again.

My 50 year high school reunion was Saturday night after the show and I went dressed just like I am in the picture, crown, sash and all. Some of them had already seen the pictures on FB and everybody there got a big hoot out of it too. I caught up with all the guys I see regularly anyway, but not much catching up to do when you see somebody right along. I moved on to the guys and gals that I only see at the reunions every five years, then surprisingly and to my great pleasure, I ended up with the old hippies who were drinking whisky and taking a smoke now and then. That was great. Those guys wanted to talk about all the pleasures and mysteries of life. I think I missed out not being one of them back in the day, but, they're still around so I can have a good laugh and some conversations that make you think now.

One of those weekends that makes a guy glad to be alive when it's all over and done with.

I wish I could get excited over class reunions. Most of the kids in my class lived in town and looked down their nose at farm kids. Other than maybe giving one girl a chance back in the day I don't miss most of them. Kind of makes me mad my best friend had his sister pass on a few months ago and the kids that showed up at calling hours that we graduated with barely acknowledged him. Me I can understand as I can have a bit of a mean streak (usually justified) but him he was very mellow and pleasant back in the day. I'd rather put my attention to acquiring tractors to show and I still have an itch for corn pickers. Hopefully, I have decades to go before I get too old.

I've only missed one reunion in 50 years. It's good to catch up and see who's still alive and what they're doing. There were around 120 in the class. About 15 have passed. A lot of spouses of classmates have gone on. One of the guys I never really wanted to see, has some real serious health problems and wasn't there. His wife was. I went to elementary school with her, but not him. I never wished the guy any ill will and it's rough that the two of them are going through what they are.

A gal right up the road was Sno-Ball Queen in our senior year. She always wears her crown to the reunions in good fun, so she grabbed me and had to have somebody take our pictures together in our crowns. There are so many of us who never left the area and still run in to each other everywhere, so it's not like we're getting together with strangers. It's like the family reunions, just glad to spend some time with everybody and have some laughs now and then. It's pretty hard to BS somebody and claim to be something that you're not when everybody there knows where you live.

We had it in one of the guy's shop. He and I have had a joking adversarial thing going since the day we met on the first day of high school. He said something that made me stare at him like he was nuts and he glared back like he wanted to kill me. We still do that until we bust up laughing. He's all the time ribbing me for wearing my bibs no matter where I go. Most of those lightweights were leaving already before dark. I told him I wasn't leaving, I was promised a bonfire. He looked at me and said I talk a lot for a guy who'd show up in a crown and sash at a 50 year reunion. I told him that it drew his attention away from my pants.

I'm glad you have a very good social dynamic with most of your classmates. You can never have too many friends.

That's for sure. One of the gals at the reunion was patting me on the back, laughing and congratulating me and I said ''You know, when you have friends who'll stick you with something like this, then laugh with you and not at you, life's pretty darned good.''.

Sounds like you had a great time. We had a 40th reunion in 2018. And our high school held its 150 Anniversary this past spring, so we have also had the opportunity to get reacquainted with some of our school mates. Amazing how many have passed on.
You folks must have a good tractor show, any pictures?

I didn't think to take the camera Bruce. I'll have to see if Kim can get any off FB. Maybe psimmer or Bob took some, will see this and will post some. We're like folks used to say about an eccentric guy up the road when I was a kid. They'd always say old Vic has as much fun as people.

It was great to see the 600, as well as your 500's too. Nice show for sure. Glad it worked out I could be there. Sadly, I didn't take any pictures. I will say though, I came with the expectation of seeing your tractors, perhaps meeting you too. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would actually meet a King! Should have got an autograph, as I am sure it would be worth a fortune.

You're positively glowing. :)

I went to my 15 year reunion (a long time ago). It was really fun... but have never gone to another.

My wife thought I was 20 years younger. A local Deere collector that we knew, passed away a few months ago. When I told my wife that he was my age, she said ''Your age?''. I said ''Yes, 68.''. She looked confused and said ''68?''. I said ''Yes, 68, my age.''. She said ''I'm sorry, I still think of you being in your 40s.''. She couldn't wrap her head around me being 68 when she heard it out loud.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back