I've got a 1980 case 995 . Ran fine, but after shutting down for a few minutes it blew a fair bit of anti freeze out exhaust when restarting.

Joedenison

New User
I've got a 1980 case 995 tractor that runs fine but after a few minutes of shutting down engine then restarting, it blows a lot of antifreeze out of exhaust. Also where the bottom of the block attaches to frame there is oil being pushed out along the seal. (Antifreeze in oil) . I'm hoping it's just a blowen head gasket. But anyone have any ideas why oil would be forced out lower on engine? Also dosen't seem to be building up much pressure out the radiator.

"But anyone have any ideas why oil would be forced out lower on engine?"

A tired gasket. It is at least 45 years old. Way beyond how long they were designed to last. Not an expensive fix, but lots of time.

A head gasket, head, or block is the only place coolant can get into the exhaust. Not a huge job, the fact it only comes out after shut down is really odd. How fast does the coolant level go down? Bubbles in the radiator when running?

The Case 995 is a rebadged David Brown 995
It sounds like you may have a pin hole in a cylinder
The tractors frame is a part of the lower crankcase with the oil pan bolting to the bottom of that frame section. To replace that gasket you’ll have to split the tractor in order to lift the engine off the frame
I would remove the oil pan to see if coolant is getting in the oil pan and if so where it’s coming from, oil pan is flat and comes off easily
No need to worry about the oil leak until it is determined what is required to fix the engine

I presently have a DB 990 apart for rings and rod bearings along with a clutch
First time I’ve had a DB apart

Joe welcome to YT! How long have you had the tractor? If you have had it longer did it run fine prior to this? If as your saying there is antifreeze in the oil the higher level of fluid could be causing a gasket that may have just leaked a little before to leak a lot with the higher fluid level. A picture of that area would be helpful, the are posted by the “Attach files” button. Check your “Private Messages” icon at the top that looks like an envelope at the top of the page I have some additional helpful information there.

Hello i just bought tractor at an auction. I should have looked it over better for sure. So im not sure the history of the motor. The valve cover air vent is blowing out some antifreeze and oil is bubbling out in one spot along where the lower motor seal is where motor attaches to frame. The oil level is on the dip stick a little above add. There is some air bubbles coming up through the radiator. Only sometimes will it blow antifreeze out exaust which worries me a little thinking maybe if one of the pistons is in the right place it leaks above the piston while setting .

CAUTION! Hopefully you know this, but running an engine with antifreeze in the oil can quickly damage the engine bearings. And beyond that damage the crankshaft to the point it needs re-machined. Pulling the oil pan first as DS450 has suggested is a good idea.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back