JD 1240 to plant Soybean

I have a JD 1240 planter. I want to use it to plant soybeans this year. I don't have the right cups but can I use the fingers(normally for corn) to plant soybeans beans? I think I read before it may drop 2 beans per "drop" but they seem similar in size so are there really any issues?

Setting it up to plant seed fast enough might be the only one. Beans plant about 110,000-140,000 seeds per acre and corn is only around 25,000- 35,000 this is in most cases. i know of a guy that with 20 inch rows plants about 38,000 corn. Don't know what he plants for beans. If you narrow up your rows for beans to a s close to 15inches as you can get it would help off set part of the planting thickness as they could be spaced farther apart and still make close to the target population since you would have more rows per acre. In 30 inch rows you want around a 2 inch bean spacing and with the 15's you could have a 4 inch spacing and have same seed use.

Is yours a plate or plateless planter? You mentioned fingers, so I'll assume it's plateless. I used to have one but never planted beans with it. I don't think they had any replaceable cups, just a plate you rotated under the hopper to direct the seed to the corn meter or bean meter. Then the speed adjustment to get the target population. How many acres are you planting with it? Deer plots or planting a crop?

That 1240 is the early version of the corn seed meter isnt it? We saw one at a farm auction many years ago, bid on it actually but we werent really sure on them so
didnt buy it. Just so few of them around here. They are between the JD plate planter of old and the 7000 meter planter. Although the 1240 and the 7000 could come in
a plate version too.

Anyhow, the corn setup wont plant near enough seed to plant beans with. Thats the biggest problem. By the time you drive over the field 4 times with the corn setting,
you might as well find the bean cups and do it right. Waste fuel and time and compact your field.

Paul

We have 1250 plateless unit,which is a three point version of of your 1240.You put multiple units on a toolbar.There is a 'wheel' on the side of the metering device. You just pull a pin and flip it over for beans.
Then there is 'trap door' on the bottom of the seed box. You open it for beans,close the other(it's for corn).Use gearing to determine number of pounds/popupation per acre. You REALLY need a book.Why risk
your successful crop just you dont have tha book(bible) to guide you. BTW,that book would have told you the answer to this question. Plus many other 'need to know' things that you didnt know you needed to
know.A 30 dollar book can help you get started right. A good crop starts at planting.

Sounds like you have edible bean cups. I'd look up the correct cup for soybeans then do a search. Two seeds per drop can be
compensated for by reducing the speed of the cups at which they turn. Get the operators manual out and figure out the correct
setting to do so. If you have a drill with fluted cups and your soil works down very well drilling would be an option until you
can find the correct cups. Ideal spacing is always preferred but due to the time of the year you may be stuck making do.

Ihave only grown soys for 3 or 4 years. The 'locals' tell me 1 inch apart(or closer) on 30 rows.They say better to plant too much than not enough.They saythat unlike corn,you dont worry about too high populations. I can attest to that. The last year I grew beans,I would have run out of seed. My supplier didn't have any more to sell me. So I cut back the feed. Fewer plants meant fewer beans. Plus they didn't canopy which meant more weeds.So,from that experience,I would rather buy a few more beans than risk being to light.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back