mbest

New User
I just purchased a 2440. It has the one engine temp sensor in housing below thermostat. Prong is there to put a connector on but that is all. I picked up a connector & wire. Where does the wire go to??? have operator & shop manual but neither one says anything. in Fact, wiring diagram doesn't even show engine temp sensor. anyone have any ideas?? thanks

Are you sure it is not the oil sender ? Just a thought and the wire I would think would go to the gauge in the dash and ground would go to ground some place if it has to have a ground on it.

Upvote 0
Is this 2440 serial # below or above 341,000
Screenshot 2024-05-08 180102.png

Upvote 0
Hello mbest, welcome to YT! Not sure what your level of mechanical knowledge is since your new we have no idea where you’re at in that respect. If your SN is below 341,000 what Jim is showing applies to your tractor. That is a “capillary tube” style gauge. It needs no electricity, it relies on thermal expansion of liquid sealed inside of the tube. If the gauge has a stiff single line coming off of it this is what you need. Serial number is on the right side frame above the front axle.

Upvote 0
thanks serial # above 341,000 has instrument cluster etc so many wires there that i wouldn't know where to begin

Upvote 0
OK here's the water temperature sensor that fits inv engine cylinder head for later serial range.
I know where the sensor is. There isn't a connector or wire on the sensor. Putting those on. trying to figure out where wire goes etc. I have shop manual for this tractor but wiring diagram doesn't even show the engine sensor or wire. Anyone have a better copy of wiring diagram??

Upvote 0
I know where the sensor is. There isn't a connector or wire on the sensor. Putting those on. trying to figure out where wire goes etc. I have shop manual for this tractor but wiring diagram doesn't even show the engine sensor or wire. Anyone have a better copy of wiring diagram??
Do you have the John Deere technical manual TM1219? It may not have pictures of the sensor and wiring connections on it; however, it should have the wiring diagrams for you to use.

Upvote 0
don't have tech manual. I may have to get it thx
JD had service manuals for years and those are now called technical manuals. You said you have a shop manual. If it is an I&T manual (they often called their manuals shop manuals) it is likely missing a lot of info, the JD TM 1219 is 608 pages.

Capture.JPG

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back