JD 4010 drive train noise

Stumpster

New User
Hi everyone, I've been searching the internet for some time and can't seem to find anything that's relevant. I have an old JD 4010 that has a clicking/ knocking noise in reverse and some forward gears but not all, it gets louder as speed increases. I can't for certain pinpoint the exact source. I inherited it from my father in law and I know it wasn't doing it a year ago. I believe I've hit all grease locations, including throw out bearings. Any ideas?

Hi everyone, I've been searching the internet for some time and can't seem to find anything that's relevant. I have an old JD 4010 that has a clicking/ knocking noise in reverse and some forward gears but not all, it gets louder as speed increases. I can't for certain pinpoint the exact source. I inherited it from my father in law and I know it wasn't doing it a year ago. I believe I've hit all grease locations, including throw out bearings. Any ideas?
FIRST thing to do is to be SURE all wheel and hub attaching hardware is TIGHT and nothing is slipping/moving where parts attach in that area.

Last edited:
I had something similar happen on my 4230 last summer. Not sure about reverse gears, but made the clicking in forward gears. Ended up being an adjustment on the 3pt. Was able to have it done on sight. Hope this helps.

FIRST thing to do is to be SURE all wheel and hub attaching hardware is TIGHT and nothing is slipping/moving where parts attach
So I went through and everything seems tight. It's doing it in all 3 reverse gears 1st gear and 3rd gear only all other gears are quiet. 3rd gear is the loudest and I took a video to you can hear it, maybe that can give some insight... hopefully it will play

Attachments

• Voice_0410_151651.m4a
    145.6 KB · Views: 48
Can you tell the source of the noise? Maybe jack up the tractor and spin the wheels or run it and use a stethoscope to help determine the source of the clicking before you tear it apart.

Reactions: ET
It seems like it's more from the left side axle but I can't pinpoint for sure. I'll try that, jack it up and let it run, and see if I can get to the source with the stethoscope. I did engage the left brake today trying to get out of the ditch and for a brief minute heard the same noise until i really applied it. Is there any way something in the brake could be doing it? But then again it wouldn't make sense that it only does it in certain gears...

Well they all share the top shaft of the synchro transmission. Often a noise like you describe can be hard to pinpoint. Can be the shifters for the top shaft are getting worn down often reverse is the first to go and eventually won’t go into gear at all. You can pull the lid off the transmission and take a peak see if anything obvious is loose

If you do think you have something wrong with brakes on the left side check to see they are bled and that they function first before tearing anything apart. It could be just quieter at low speed enough you can’t hear it.

It’s much easier to repair the brakes if it’s the pedal valve or even pulling the final to inspect the planetary and piston. I’d start there if the source is not obvious with the lid off the synchro. Much easier to pull a final off then split the tractor.

Well they all share the top shaft of the synchro transmission. Often a noise like you describe can be hard to pinpoint. Can be the shifters for the top shaft are getting worn down often reverse is the first to go and eventually won’t go into gear at all. You can pull the lid off the transmission and take a peak see if anything obvious is loose

If you do think you have something wrong with brakes on the left side check to see they are bled and that they function first before tearing anything apart. It could be just quieter at low speed enough you can’t hear it.

It’s much easier to repair the brakes if it’s the pedal valve or even pulling the final to inspect the planetary and piston. I’d start there if the source is not obvious with the lid off the synchro. Much easier to pull a final off then split the tractor.
Thank you!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back