JD G electrical

Patsdeere

Museum I'm part of has a late model G. It is currently set up with a generator and cut out and is 12v. I'm not sure what polarity is ground.

It's currently charging at 16+ volts and doesn't seem to matter how long it has run, it stays up there. My assumption is the cut out has failed (looks old). Theoretically, a new cut out, a quick flash and we should be good to go, right?

Museum I'm part of has a late model G. It is currently set up with a generator and cut out and is 12v. I'm not sure what polarity is ground.

It's currently charging at 16+ volts and doesn't seem to matter how long it has run, it stays up there. My assumption is the cut out has failed (looks old). Theoretically, a new cut out, a quick flash and we should be good to go, right?
Original polarity would have been (+) ground.

Cutouts DO NOT control charging rate, charging rate adjustment would be by moving the generator's third brush, or by position of the light switch, first notch raises charging rate by switching a resistor in or out of the field circuit.

But I would think a late "G" would have a simple two-unit voltage regulator, rather than a cutout?

Also, how long does it typically get run and does generator get excessively warm and/or does the battery boil?

Original polarity would have been (+) ground.

Cutouts DO NOT control charging rate, charging rate adjustment would be by moving the generator's third brush, or by position of the light switch, first notch raises charging rate by switching a resistor in or out of the field circuit.

But I would think a late "G" would have a simple two-unit voltage regulator, rather than a cutout?

Also, how long does it typically get run and does generator get excessively warm and/or does the battery boil?
I'm regards to rate, that makes sense, but it should cut out when the battery is full.

Run time is usually an hour or two to get to parades, then 2 hours through the parade and home.

It has a cut out, little rectangular box, but maybe we should flip it all over to a VR.

Hey there Pat, If a battery is charged actually at 16 volts ??? for too long it can boil over, outgas and be damaged. The rate of charge is controlled by the Voltage Regulators (if so equipped with a full fledged Voltage Regulator) voltage and current charge control relays or combination voltage/current charge control relay NOTTTTTTT the Cutout Relay. If it has a simple Cutout Relay ONLY with charge control regulated by a Low High charge light switch, that switch and its resistance regulates charge...

NOOOOOOOOOOO the cutout relay doesn't open when the battery is full charged, it should open when the tractor is shut down and the genny isnt producing

It was originally POS ground. Polarizing is for the Generator NOT the VR.

If it constantly overcharges ??? The VR may be bad or there's a short thats putting the genny in max high charge constantly such as would happen if the gennys FLD post (or FLD on VR) were dead grounded. ALSO I have seen gennys that had the Field shorted (or wire from FLD on genny up to FLD on VR) causing constant max high charge.

Check out my Charging Troubleshooting Procedure

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ttalk&th=2060825

John T

Hey there Pat, If a battery is charged actually at 16 volts ??? for too long it can boil over, outgas and be damaged. The rate of charge is controlled by the Voltage Regulators (if so equipped with a full fledged Voltage Regulator) voltage and current charge control relays or combination voltage/current charge control relay NOTTTTTTT the Cutout Relay. If it has a simple Cutout Relay ONLY with charge control regulated by a Low High charge light switch, that switch and its resistance regulates charge...

NOOOOOOOOOOO the cutout relay doesn't open when the battery is full charged, it should open when the tractor is shut down and the genny isnt producing

It was originally POS ground. Polarizing is for the Generator NOT the VR.

If it constantly overcharges ??? The VR may be bad or there's a short thats putting the genny in max high charge constantly such as would happen if the gennys FLD post (or FLD on VR) were dead grounded. ALSO I have seen gennys that had the Field shorted (or wire from FLD on genny up to FLD on VR) causing constant max high charge.

Check out my Charging Troubleshooting Procedure

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ttalk&th=2060825

John T
Thanks. This electrical stuff isn't my strong suit.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back