JD350B Electrical Starting Problems

RJZAMISKA

Have electrical starting problems with a JD350B, diesel. Have replaced the battery and starter both needed it regardless, but all that takes place when I try to start it now is, a solenoid click and then all goes silent. At this point looking at the electrical schematic the only thing I have not replaced is the circuit breaker item 11 on the drawing. Could this be the issue ???, any support will be appreciated. Currently using schematic Crawlers- JD350B, TM-1032 (Jun-08) Electrical system Regards Ray

Have electrical starting problems with a JD350B, diesel. Have replaced the battery and starter both needed it regardless, but all that takes place when I try to start it now is, a solenoid click and then all goes silent. At this point looking at the electrical schematic the only thing I have not replaced is the circuit breaker item 11 on the drawing. Could this be the issue ???, any support will be appreciated. Currently using schematic Crawlers- JD350B, TM-1032 (Jun-08) Electrical system Regards Ray
Before replacing anything else, check a few things. Make sure the transmission is in neutral. Use a voltmeter and check the voltage at the battery posts. Check the voltage at the battery cable post of the solenoid. Is It the same of very close to the voltage at the battery posts? Turn the key to start and what is the voltage while the key is turned to start? If the voltage is lower than battery voltage in either test, you need to check your battery cables and connections (both ends of both cables, a bad ground will cause a no start just the same as a issue on the positive cable). Did you clean the starter and flywheel housing face to clean, shiny metal so the starter has a good ground? Run a booster cable from the negative battery post to a good ground point on the engine and try it to see if the negative ground is being lost through the connections through the sheet metal.

Does it have a battery disconnect switch? If so, you should bypass it as a test if the voltage is low at the starter.

Use a jumper wire to jump between the solenoid battery cable terminal and the small start wire terminal. Does it crank? If so the problem is in the primary wiring from the switch, which includes the neutral switch on the transmission. I believe if you study the wiring diagram the circuit breaker will affect more than just the starting circuit, if it is bad. You can put both wire that hook to it now on one terminal of it to bypass it for a test before you purchase and replace it.

Do some testing, answer each question and report back on the results.

Thank you for all the important hints and info. Will check out each one as recommended. Going to be a while before I get back into it. Again thank you for the suggestions/ Regards Ray

Jim,ME Thanks again for the info. Went back when I had time and did some voltage checks as suggested. Found a large voltage drop on the primary lead from the battery to the starter. Changed out the cable and problem solved. Thanks again to the info. Ray

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back